Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What's the best burning software?

No firmware upgrades for my NEC..I reinstalled Nero 5.5, then updated to 5.5.5.9 (?) and it works now. I copied a CD from drive to drive, both on the secondary IDE port, with no problem. Still deciding which one I like better.

If I slave a CDROM drive at 33MB\s to a HDD running at 100MB\s, even with an 80 conductor cable....it would slow down my data transfer from my HDD, N'est pas?

"If I slave a CDROM drive at 33MB\s to a HDD running at 100MB\s, even with an 80 conductor cable....it would slow down my data transfer from my HDD, N'est pas?"

Yes that is usually correct, having a slower device attached to faster device can slow down the data transfer speed, even if dma was enabled.

Having a cd-rom or dvd-drive attached on the same ide chain with a burner is very common with most systems.

Today's burners have a decent sized buffer cache to reduce the number of coasters.

3-4 years ago when the slower 2x or 4x burners were out, it was better to attach the dvd or cd-rom to the hd and the burner on it's own channel.

Nowadays, that is only used under rare circumstances.
    Darth Bill Gates is on the Dark Side of the Force. Linux Penguin, Jedi Knight, will lead him away from it.

Ultimate Member
    I'm using NERO 5.5 that came with my Yamaha drive and its great, however if you're burning protected CD's... CloneCD is the way to go.

-Ramon

Originally posted by fryincpus
    "If I slave a CDROM drive at 33MB\s to a HDD running at 100MB\s, even with an 80 conductor cable....it would slow down my data transfer from my HDD, N'est pas?"
    Where did you get that idea?

a slower drive in the same bus does not slow down the faster drive on the same bus

the only time you'll see a slow down
    is When, you copy data from the 100 drive to the 33 drive

[

3-4 years ago when the slower 2x or 4x burners were out, it was better to attach the dvd or cd-rom to the hd and the burner on it's own channel.

Nowadays, that is only used under rare circumstances. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have to disagree.

The configuration I posted earlier in this thread is from my Plextor 16/10/40A Operations Manual.

I have tried both methods, and there is no comparison in speed when burning "on-the-fly".

Creating coasters is a non-issue with the Plextors "BURN-Proof" technology.

AllGamer, you are correct.
    Last edited by mpacey; 09-30-2002 at 11:42 AM.

NERO! - Really stable, really simple and works excellently under XP!!!!
    WahreZ

"this is me breathing" - Martin Blank.

The key here is not only the software, which Nero and CloneCD are the best, but you must also have a good burner. I cant remember the last time I burned a coaster. I have a Plextor 24x and I just got a new Lite-On 40x...both are coaster proof.

Originally posted by AllGamer

a slower drive in the same bus does not slow down the faster drive on the same bus

Not always. In a older i440 BX chipset the ATA mode is limited by a drive with a minimal ATA specs (on the same bus).

in the BX chipset you are limited by the ATA-33 of the mobo anyways, so it's still not due the slower HDD, but due the Slow bus on the ATA-33 IDE controller

Originally posted by AllGamer

That's exactly what I said.
    Darth Bill Gates is on the Dark Side of the Force. Linux Penguin, Jedi Knight, will lead him away from it.

That's because your Plextor has a buffer in it too.
    I was refering to when older 2x or 4x cdrw had little to 0 buffer cache and no burn proof technology and it would sometimes cause a coaster. The best method that worked for me to reduce coasters at the time was to put the slave the cdrom with the hd on the master ide channel and the burner ide by itself or slaved with another ide device on the secondary ide. I was just saying that this method is not as used as much anymore now that burners are faster, better, have a decent sized buffer and use Burn proof technology.

But there is the odd time that it needs to be done such as a cd-rom and cd-burner don't like each other on the same cable, but like to be on separate channels instead.
    I had that happen to me almost 4 months ago.

Sorry if you disagree, but that's the truth.

Originally posted by mpacey
    [

Nowadays, that is only used under rare circumstances.
    I have to disagree.

The configuration I posted earlier in this thread is from my Plextor 16/10/40A Operations Manual.

I have tried both methods, and there is no comparison in speed when burning "on-the-fly".

Creating coasters is a non-issue with the Plextors "BURN-Proof" technology.

AllGamer, you are correct. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Last edited by fryincpus; 10-01-2002 at 02:19 AM.

Nero and Blindwrite

Originally posted by statiatech
    The key here is not only the software, which Nero and CloneCD are the best, but you must also have a good burner. I cant remember the last time I burned a coaster. I have a Plextor 24x and I just got a new Lite-On 40x...both are coaster proof.
    That is a good point, especially for anyone trying to back up Safedisc CD's.

Apparently my 16X Plextor won't accomplish this, but your 24X will. (with CloneCD)

I almost traded mine in for that reason, until I realized I will probably not use it for that anyway.

Of course, the source is also important.

Toshiba DVD's are one of the best for reading anything.
    Last edited by mpacey; 10-01-2002 at 08:35 AM.

The Lite-On 40x also will burn Safedisc2 as well. I pay a lot of money for the games I have. I try and backup everything. With CloneCD and a good drive, that is never a problem.

Well......I got that Idea from one Kris Jamsa, PH.D., MBA.
    A very thorough book on PC performance, upgrading, tweaking, etc. It hasn't steered me wrong (YET).
    Either way, my problem was solved...so thanks for all the input.

BTW....which way is correct?
    What if you slave an ATA\100 HDD to an ATA\33 CDROM with the latter as Master?
    Or....slave an ATA\33 CDROM to an ATA\100 HDD with the latter as master?
    Or does it even ****ing matter?