Thread: Reformatting with WinXP pro???

Reformatting with WinXP pro???

How do I reformat my hard drive with winxp pro, i just installed it and am very unfamiliar with xp, i tried using a boot disk but nothing came up, i want to clear off my hard drive for a clean install, thanks

hi matt p,, did you say the o/s is already installed,, ??? I know I had problems with installing xp,, I ended up using a win 98 boot disk to partition and format my hdd,,, and then had to hold down the esc. key to be able to boot directly from cd ,,, I think if you go to m$ support you can download a boot disk for xp,, if you don't have the option of booting directly to cd rom..

But if you already installed, and want ti wipe your drive,, then you will need to install again,,, after partitioning and formatting,, as the o/s will no longer be present... read up on partiotioning so you can optimize that 80 gb,,, I wish I had,, I want to install Linux,, and don't have enough partitions,,, so fugure out your game plan first,,, with different o/s,, and swap files and such...
    Last edited by tranka32; 09-19-2002 at 11:18 PM.
    asus p3c-2000
    P-II 400-100fsb
    320 mb pc133 sdram
    windows xp
    4x agp ecs-ag315T
    (building new system, someday, soon I hope)

Make sure that you have floppy selected as the 1st boot device in BIOS setup. If that doesn't work, you can boot from the Win98 CD and format with it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

ok, thanks,