Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fast cdroms

fast cdroms

why do they make such noises? when u have put a cd inside the drive? i hate it

anything to calm it down?

thanks
    Thanks

Enjoy the time u are having.

A hammer LOL
    But seriously, I don't think so.
    But someone out there might know of something.
    Sorry couldn't resist it.
    It's better to burnout than fade away!

lol

hehe, ya right.

anyways, please, anybody else?
    Thanks

Put some tape in the sides of the drive before you screw it in and make sure you use four screws. If it is rack mounted put some tape on the runners. I recently just bought a Liteon 32x12x40x CDRW drive and must say it is one of the quietest I've ever owned.

CDRW Noise

I have a CD-RE AOPEN 484016 and damit it annoys me having to listen to that stupid noise. I have only got 1 screw in it. I shall use four screws and then tighten them nicely. not tooo tight but firm. I dont know , i cant picture the "...use some tape.." part.

Anyways, good luck to me with the 4 screws.

:-}
    Thanks

If you only have one screw holding it in then it is vibrating against the housing. I have in the past put a narrow strip of tape on the edge of the drive to act as a cushin between the drive and sides of the mounting bay. It can quiet it down a lot.

Use a case with a drive door on it? That should dampen the noise. If you want even more quiet you could always insulate the drive door.

Mine sounds like a jet taking off, I sympathize.

T

Noise

Yes it is a pain

I cant stand it somtime. I mean u can even watch DIVx films without listenning to that dam noise. I dont have a grand sound system but i mean why try to compete with noises?

Anyways, i shall try to just use four screws. Maybe i am short of a screw too in my head.

I will see what i come up with, thanks

By the way, I think those Cases u get with Drive doors are so stupid , who wants to flap open those doors b4 being able to eject a CD still.

cherio.
    Thanks

Re: fast cdroms

Originally posted by musictoad
    why do they make such noises? when u have put a cd inside the drive? i hate it

anything to calm it down?

thanks
    You want the truth?

you might not like it

well here it goes anyways

it depends on the Brand of the CD ROM

Aopen are the worst, i had them, i know
    Panasonic and Creative are about the quietest
    Toshiba are good, but still noisy
    hmm...
    Sony they are quiet enough for it not to be loud
    as for the other generic ones goes, it depends
    say for example
    Li-On, some are good some are bad

so hmm... if you get a noisy one
    just get another one

You're right about the different makers. It's amazing how different they can be from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The other place to consider is cases. I've heard the same CDROMs in different cases sound completely different. If you have a good, solid case (even without silly drive doors!) I think you could half the sound coming out of the CDROM.

T

its always the small companies that make the best

Okay

So what must i do now?
    What drive must i consider buying next?

**** , this ****ing drive is new. It is not so noisey in my fiends box.
    I see they have released a Firmware to calm it down
    should i try it?

Cheers
    Thanks

Well if screwing it down tight was no help you have nothing to loose by trying the firmware but I don't see how that would help noise much. There is however a software solution that might be of some help. I have a program I found at a garage sale called CD copier Pro. It lets you create a virtual cdrom drive on you harddrive so you can load CD's used for game play from an exact copy on the harddrive. You can put as many cd's as your harddrive can hold in a file and load and eject them just like a actual drive. You can even set up multiple drives so you never have to swap disks even for applications that need more then one disk to run. I use it to store disk images of disks I use often like the OS master and games that require the disk to be in the drive to play. The games run much faster this way and you never loose or scratch the disks. I don't know what it cost but you can find it here. . You might want to check it out. It may not work on some copy protected disks though.

Sorry I just checked the site and see it is no longer available. Too bad it is a great program. Perhaps there is a similar product if you do a search.
    Last edited by ukulele; 09-13-2002 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks, but

Thanks

but i dont think thats the solution i am looking for. I think it defeats the whole purpose of owning a cdrom.

cool
    Thanks

but i dont think thats the solution i am looking for. I think it defeats the whole purpose of owning a cdrom
    Actually it greatly enhances the capabilities of a cdrom. I just did a search on the imsisoft web site and realized why it is no longer available. It is quite capable of running just about any cd's with or without copy protection schemes unlike other virtual cd programs that only create an image copy in Explorer. This is something I never knew but I have only used the program for a few weeks. They must have gotten into some legal problems with it and quit selling it. Fortunately this one is a legal copy and was never used. It's amazing what you can find at garage sales sometimes.