Thread: Monitor Problems makin me sick

Monitor Problems makin me sick

I just got a used monitor from a friend of mine. His stopped working so he went and bought a new one. I took his old one in to be fixed (it would not power on, nothing would happen.) After getting it back from the company I took it to, I was glad to see that it turned on. However a new problem arose and I cannot figure out how to fix it. The desktop is too large for the monitor (Proview PS-998 19 inch) and I cannot resize it. Also the screen resembles an hour glass shape. The sides are bowed in towards the middle and I cannot get the horizontal controls to move it outwards to straighten and align it correctly. The monitor cuts off my windows desktop before the start button on the left and the time on the system tray to the right. I took it back into the company and they said it worked fine. He even hooked it up to a computer and it looked fine on theirs. I just don't know what else to do and I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some ideas. Just in case it helps any, here are my specs:
    Soyo MB w/ AMD 1800+ XP
    NVidia G Force 4 MX 420
    512 MB DDR

Thanks.

Do you have any knobs on the moniter or buttons try fiddling with those.

Try changing your resolution around also.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

I have a knob but it doesn't seem to help much. I cannot get the vertical size one to work. To change the resolution is this done in the display properties in the control panel? i'm running 1024 x 768 at 32 bit color.

Yep it is done in display try lowering it and see what happens.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

I lowered it but what it actually seems to do is make the entire screen even larger. However when I increase the resolution, the screen size gets smaller..kinda wierd.

Well yes that is resolution the smaller res is bigger things and higher is smaller.

did you get a manual when you get you monitor? If so, you should be able to find out what buttons do what on your monitor (so you can resize the screen).

if none of this works, just take your tower ( i know its a pain) with the monitor back to the shop and let him do it for ya

try changeing the freq of your monitor from the desktop display properties. that should change a few things.. if it was alright at the shop. then proberly its going to vbe alright. u just have to find the freq it was working at at the shop then the only thing thats difernt is the display freq they video card was set up at . match yours to that .. and it should work out.