Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: You Know I feel like leaving sysopt

Hello again.
    thanks for all the nice comments, it serves to make my ego even bigger but I thought I would point out a couple of things:

I still come around here looking at the questions, seeing what people are asking and reading the responses...I doubt I will answer any in particular unless I feel that I have the absolute, un-deniable answer and that in the field of computing is a rare thing

I don't for any minute see a difference between colour and creed, but do see a difference in the country you are from and religion. For instance I am not particulary religous but some people are, some people are gay - I'm not....everyone is different, ideas differ and responses to questions will vary. That is not a problem, the problem comes when people try to force their differing opinons on others...I am happy the way I am, I don't want religion so leave it alone (religion and sexual orientation are examples btw). In a virtual world people can becomes who they really want to be free of visual stereotypes, but this leads to problems mainly something similar to "road rage". When looking at a monitor you are invunerable (your computer isn't tho ), you can attack someone, call them names, attack their thoughts and attitudes but try saying that to their face especially to me

I am sorry if I have started something that shouldn't have been started, or allowed people to use me as an excuse to leave, my opinons and reasons are my own as should everyone elses (sometimes they are not )

I thought I would check my pm's to see if Steve R Jones had replied (he hadn't) but I got yet another abusive message.....well after I had decided to leave and created this thread... concretes and validates my decision in my book.

Speak to you all later.

Stefan
    Last edited by DocEvi1; 09-08-2002 at 11:41 AM.

It is such a shame to see people like Doc leave, especially for this reason. People like myself depend on people like Doc to teach us the things we need to know and don't. Myself, I have owned a computer for less than one year, I don't post much because my limited knowledge would help no one. But I check the boards regularly and read the questions and answers and slowly learn the computer knowledge I so woefully lack. To those of you who have ragged on Doc, thanks a lot. You just made my quest for knowledge a little more difficult. Hopefully other "knowledgeable" people won't leave also, leaving me and those like me in a learning vacuum. To Doc, I'm saddened to see you leave, but I don't blame you, no one should have to put up with that kind of hassle.

Jim
    Lurkin in the shadows, learnin what I can.

Ultimate Member
    I cant understand ppl sending offensive PM's... ive never had one and to be honest theyre being **** rude in doing so.. afterall this is free advice we offer here... would they rather listen to what may be incorrect or conflicting opinions to their own for free and put up with them or go and pay a quid a minute on some techie help line??

Sort yourselfs out and be grateful for what your getting

--Jakk

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Doc "ALL" the boys are behind you (Even Optimus)
    so Go & do it

(OP STFU)

This board is ultimately what we collectively make of it. To me 'leaving' should be a last resort, not the first. It is that you've reported what you feel to be 'attacks' on you and haven't gotten an acceptable response from the 'powers that be'? Because personal attacks are against board policy. To say that someone is wrong is entirely legit. To say they don't know what they're talking about may be more 'abrasive' but still 'in bounds'. To start calling people idiots etc. is getting into the realm of personal attacks / abuse. The only good reason I can see for 'leaving' under these circumstances is if you feel that you've been attacked personally, but the 'powers' say it's OK. Have you PM'd the 'powers' and / or reported posts that you consider abusive? In any case, clearly, you're under no obligation to frequently post. It's a matter of whether you enjoy it, and if you're going to let someone spoil your 'fun'.

There are alot of people who just post thing in my threads that don't even help me at all or not relevant.

There are alot of people who just post thing in my threads that don't even help me at all or not relevant.
    You have to figure the majority will fit into that catagory else the thread is dead by solution. This should be expected but posts that belittle people or catagorize folks by race, religion or nationality is out of place. Unfortunately we all have our bad days or say something stupid and have regrets. It is best to forget it and move on. Often I try to look at the lighter side of a problem and inject a little humor some times. It helps to put things in perspective. This forum is a windfall of knowledge nuggets, you just have to weed out the BS. If you think a thread has taken the wrong turn there is nothing to stop you from unsubscribing. There are plenty of other intellegent discussions going on here.

I just read TARP2's ANTIX quote:

"...I hope Bin Laden bombs your a** once more..." blah, blah, blah.

On behalf of the vast majority of Canadians I'd like to apologize. Trade differences and foreign policies aside, the US has never had a better friend than Canada and vice versa. The two countries are quite literally like brothers (same parent).

A lot of Canadians have a chip on their shoulder about living in America's shadow, but that chip should never allow you to justify a terrorist attack on civilians.

T

ps: just wanted to add a note. This thread began as Doc's eulogy but it's become something a lot bigger. There is a lot going on in Sysopt beyond people just talking about computers. It's a natural result of a world wide internet, this place is a meeting ground for people from across the planet.

Think about that for a minute - it's never happened before in history.

If there is some teething it's understandable, sad but understandable.
    Last edited by tking; 09-09-2002 at 08:45 AM.

it just goes to show that if you can take people as you find them, you will get on with most. Most I said. To my shame I got to admit I have met individuals and taken an instant dislike to them, intense dislike with some of them, and I know I have had this effect on others. It's life, you don't have to like people, just be polite when you can't stand them, a professional.

To make a private personal attack on a person is another story and completely cowardly. If you don't like someone, and want to shout about it, do it publicly if ya got the balls. As the man said, you just unsubscribe from the thread. If there was one person who new all the answers we could just send emails straight to him, wouldn't need a forum. Most succesful answers, unless there is a specific word of knowledge, are derived over lots of posts, like a conversation.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

I was reading you as DocEviL too !!!

I think that all people are equal, no matter where they live or where they've born - they last the men (except the islami extremists ). The words "nation" and "country" were not made by a nature - they were made by people, and can always change. Only the things which are true, the thoughts and deeds are always changing and can't serve as trustable checkpoints - as, for example the word "Britain" - it's a piece of map, the frontiers of which were made by men and are not real from the phusical side of view.
    P.S. I'm not drunk, I simply don't know English very well to express my opinions... Sorry...

And, DocEviL, those people who sent you bad PMs don't respect themselves. Period.

No, I understand you, I think you mean people are people where ever you go, good and bad in them all. I would agree with this, i have travelled a bit here and there and some people are the salt of the earth and others not worth the mention. Good and bad in all, some men have good hearts and others have black.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Firstly DocEvi1 don’t go. This board like many needs Brit common sense and politeness. Admittedly, I’ve noticed some members from time to time giving attitude. However, it is all so easy to knock someone else’s post if the requester’s post is scantly detailed and one doesn’t have all the time in the world to cover every scenario.

The American/Brit problem isn’t one I have noticed. What I have noticed is a general rudeness where members flex their computing expertise at the expense of less knowledgeable members. Well it must be compensatory, if you ask me, for something else lacking <g>.

Being sent rude PMs should be reported and if anyone gives you any attitude simply ignore these ‘knob-heads without no knob, girlie shirt lifting tossers’.

So DocEvil1, now you know who to converse with and who not to.

G

Originally posted by G
    ‘knob-heads without no knob, girlie shirt lifting tossers’.
    G
    Gonna have to remember that one.

This board like many needs Brit common sense and politeness.
    So true. You Brits never seem to offend folks. That's a virtue. When a problem arises with nationality your countrymen have the class to see through it. Comes with experiance and Great Britain has a monopoly in that regard. Americans fought the British for Independance but the Brits understood our intentions and let us do our thing when it was time. They have done the same for a lot of other countries, including Canada, and the end result has always been of benifit to both nations. So, my hat is off to the Queen but just don't get too Cockney or we'll loose the dialect.