Thread: What causes long map load times?

What causes long map load times?

In newer games like SoF2, I notice that it can take quite a while for the maps, textures and stuff to load up before I get into a game (be it single or multiplayer).

I am running winxp on an AMD Tbird 900, GF2 GTS 32MB, and 256mb PC133 ram. Not the newest stuff, but it works for now.

Anyhow, of the many possible upgrades (cpu, vid, ram) which would do the most to shorten this loading time in new games? I have some guesses but I don't want to bias any response you people might have .
    Last edited by Cpl_Squirrel; 08-23-2002 at 12:42 PM.

it's not a problem with the computer you have.

i have a more powerful system than yours and it still does the same thing.

you can be running NASA's or the Pentago super cracking computer, and it'll still take all that time to load.

it's the annoying way the game was designed.

so nothing to worry about

you can be running NASA's or the Pentago super cracking computer
    Well if you were running it on a Nasa system is sure as heck would run a lot faster, were you get that idea that it wouldn't I dont know AllGamer?

A lot also depends on your Harddrive speed. If you had a 15k HD it would load much faster than a 5400RPM drive.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

that's correct

it's all in the HDD speed.

that's why i said it wont mather how superior the CPU is, it all comes down to waiting for the data to load up.

No you didnt say that you said it doesnt matter how powerful

Powerful may mean different things to you.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

like Bill said "Semantics"... geez....

I believe I said it here
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

Ultimate Member
    Could be the frame rate limiter, but i nticed especially in SOF 2 the game ran liek a dog on the manufacturers vid card drivers (id just upgraded to a new un you see), installed the nvidia reference drivers and Voila! Roberts your fathers brother

Get THE LATEST ONES here www.nvidia.com

--Jakk

Wait,, you 2 are talking about FPS

Cpl_Squirrel, is talking about the "Loading" screen

you know that annoying green bar going slooooooooooooowly from left to right before the game start??

so although Video have slightly something to do with this at this point, it's mainly HDD + BUS speed fault.

yet again more Semantics

Ultimate Member
    NOOOO

This does actually affect the loading, not the FPS. The driver update dont increase or even decrease your FPS, but as a result loading and changing to the map/objective screens goes a hulluva lot faster...

--Jakk

I always have the latest drivers anyway.

Happens in other games too, like the MOH demo, i remember. Lots of watching the pretty bar going across the screen as stuff loads into memory.

Ultimate Member
    As regards upgrading CPL, overclock the 900 another 256mb of RAM and maybe a 128mb gf 4 next year... although you may be better holding fire and gettign all new system next year, based around DDR...

--Jakk