Thread: help! coding in VBasic or MS Access

help! coding in VBasic or MS Access

I'm currently doing a customised system for a video rentals store...using Vbasic 6.0 and MSAcess 2000. but my prblem is I don't know the best coding to make it works...can u help me ? how will I code the "Search' option with two options? I also want 2 have an automatic computation of days the VCD or VHs tape has been rented...'hope i can have ur best help...thanx in advance... u can e-mail me at taz_ce@yahoo.com

welcome to sysopt.

we did a similar thing 3yrs ago as part of a school project anyway, the way I did the return date:

On your menu page (which opens every time) sent a macro to work on load, check the date which is held in a hidden field against the puters date - if they don't match this is the first time the database has been opened today. You then update the date. The search routine would be simple, run a query to check for all the vid's due back today (i.e. the hidden date).

Running a two variable query, for what purpose, what do you need to find out. Are they static, variable or user defined?

Stefan
    Stefan

thanks for your immediate post reply!

I really can't understand how to code in MSAccess --queries, macros,sql ---that's why i'm planning to just use Vbasic...can u help me in this prog'g language...i mean codes in search option having 2 options; 1.search by Title or 2. search by ID...how will i code this? and coding about automatic computation of date as i have said earlier..
    thanks again...

stay away from VB trying to connect to Access.
    SQL/Queries are the same thing, just Queries have a GUI.
    Macros are VBA (visual basic for applications). It is identical to VB just specailised to Access / Word / Excel / PowerPoint....

All you are wanting to do is create a couple of queries - easy enough....if you can't figure it out post a sample db (i.e. small) and I will / somone here will make a query to show you.

Stefan
    Stefan

can i possibly have ur coding-query sooner? i really need to analyze them for my project study...please help me...
    My query should create a form and subform for a specific customer given her CustomerID and TapeID...For example,if my customer named "Von" wants to rent a certain video tape,the computer user will just type in CustomerID and TapeID(provided that the tape is available) then the system will automatically save the info and displays the due date the tape should be returned...Please ...help!!!!!

The query would be simple really. Just set it up to populate the checked out date when the record is added with the server time, and then auto populate the due date by adding what ever increment to the original server date.

As for the query, "Select * From Whatevertable Where Searchfield = InputValue"

Then manipulate the data from there. Hope that helps. Kinda vague but hopefully you get the idea of it.