Thread: Anyone know how to preview an avi file

Anyone know how to preview an avi file

With an mpeg or divx, on can preview the file before it completely downloads, to check quality, and if this is the file you wanted to download in the first place. However, with an avi file, it seems the only way I can view the file is when the download is complete. Kind of bad waiting four hours to view a movie file that has poor quality. I have quicktime, realplay, windows media player 7, and 6.4.

Thanks for your help.

Ultimate Member
    If your dloading using kazza, grokster etc, a .dat file will be created in your shared folder, all you do is copy and paste this file and change its extension from .dat to .avi then play it in windoze media player etc to see what its like

--Jakk

DivFix can rebuild the index that is in all avi files so that it can be viewed. I think it can also fix non divx avis.

PowerDVD 4 will play just about any type of video file, complete or not as long as you have the codec for the finished file.

As BigJakkStaffa said, you can download with edonkey, DC or kazaa (just a bit if you like) and copy/paste the file to a different directory, change the file extension and open it in P-DVD to check quality. Also check to see if there is a sampler available on your chosen download client.

***viBe***
    The Sysopt.com Users 2002 SETI@home team website is now ONLINE!!! WooHoo. It can be found at www.setiteam.com. If you would like to contribute to the site or the team have a look HERE
    FREE POP3 & Web based e-mail for all active members yourname@setiteam.com 5MB attachments!!! Come get some
    ***viBe***
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the responses. I ended up copying the file to my desktop, then renamed the file date 564641.avi, instead of dat. The file wouldn't play in media player, but under the files properties there was a preview option which worked wonderful. again thanks for your help.

Ultimate Member
    Thats quite alright

Yeah sometimes you get media player errors etc - these can suually e resolved by using mplayer 2 (start> run> mplayer2 (enter)) or div x playa or soem other type of audio player

--Jakk