Thread: Athlon / Motherboards and Power Supplies

Athlon / Motherboards and Power Supplies

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if you can safely run a +1GB Athlon/Duron Processor with a 250W PSU?

Matt

Ultimate Member
    A 250watt PSU will run that processor just fine... However, what you need to remember is that there are a lot of other components it will need to power up also, when you take that into account, it MAY or may NOT be enough... So give us some more information on the rest of your system specs.

-Ramon

Ultimate Member
    IF your running that, plus a cdouple of HDD's, a couple of CD drives, a dozen fans etc etc 350 - 400W would be a comofortable PSU to have

PS always make sure its AMD certified if poss

--Jakk

Ultimate Member
    Wattage isn't so much the question as regulation quality is. Older power supplies often don't cope with the huge and very quick jumps in power demand created by modern CPUs.

So even if the wattage seems appropriate, reusing an old PSU on a new system is not really a good idea.

regards, Peter

My orignal system is a Celeron 466MHz overclocked to 666Mhz.
    256MB RAM
    1x13.2GB HD
    1x8GB HD
    CD Writer HP7500i
    SCSI DVD ROM Pioneer 303
    16MB Voodoo 3
    a rubbish souncard and modem.

I bought a GeForce 3 Ti200 Card and without realising it until I opened the box (No info on the Website) that it runs at AGP 4x where as my mobo runs at AGP 2x. Rather than get my money back on the Graph Card I was gonna upgrade my mobo and processor/memory to Athlon XP of some sort. Didn't really want to replace the PSU as bit short of cash (Something to do with supposedly getting married next year, need to save up)

Maybe I should just ditch the married idea and buy a stonking PC instead..........

Anyway, thanks for your answers but I have decided to ditch the card and just whack in loads more memory.

Cheers

Ultimate Member
    Relax - that GeForce card very probably is a "universal" card, running AGP 4x where it can and autoswitching down to 2x/1x where it can't.

These cards are easily identified by having two notches in their AGP connector. Your mainboard has one corresponding bridge in its AGP slot, to prevent incompatible cards from even fitting in. If there's no bridges, then it's a universal slot.

See images here:

http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

(bottom of page)

So actually the only thing you might want to update is the system's power supply unit ...

regards, Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter,

I checked the website and the card def. doesn't fit in my PC.
    I'll just chuck in the memory.

Does anyone know of a good AGP2x card that will run better than my Voodoo 3 3000?

Regards

Matt

P.S - Has to be AGP 1.0 compliant

Ultimate Member
    HMMN - AGP 1.0 cards are quite hard to come by these days, you wont be looking at anything near gf2 speed, maybe one of the original geforce cards(im not sure about their compatibility) , and the TNT2's may be marginally quicker but not really worth the overall upgrade... you could always get a newer card but in PCI flavour i guess

--Jakk

Ultimate Member
    AGP 1.0 compliant mainly means you have to watch the card's power consumption. Don't use GeForce 3 or 4, and skip Radeon 9700 as well. Radeon 9000pro or even better the fanless plain 9000 would be well adequate.

regards, Peter

Ultimate Member
    Hmmn, perhaps ive been mistaken, just i couldnt get a gf2 mx400 to post on a AGP 1.0 Slot A mobo a while back, so i dint think newer cards would be compatible... oh well

--Jakk