Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: geforce 5 will it be worth it

Banned

geforce 5 will it be worth it

ok this thing is quite a while away (when will it come out anyway)

but i am wondering if there will be any noticable performance increase when playing games such as unreal 2 and any other games comming out this year next year using this system for example:
    athlon xp1900
    133FSB
    512MB DDR ram
    geforce 4 4000

or will there be no difference because i only have AGP4x and 133FSB? or is my processor to slow for example!

what are ur ideals on this???

You know, a guy/gal could drive themselves nuts trying to keep up with Nvidia. Cripes. I get so sick of every time I turn around, there's a newer and better chipset being developed.

I'm kinda slow when it comes to upgrading. I always wait for the latest wave to hit, which then reduces the prices of the technology that the wave replaces, then I buy.

I think that as long as you can do what you want to with your computer, that's all that matters. After a certain amount of FPS, the human eye cannot detect a difference anyway.

The only thing new technology is good for, until games software developers catch up to it, is benchmark scores. And, who cares about them? Um, well I do kind of. I always run 3DMark when I install a newer video card, but I don't live and breathe the results.
    This area reserved for highly intelligent observations.

dont waste your money. Just like the 9700 till it drops in price. The best value card at the moment id either the TI4200 or the Radeeon 8500, and these cards will last for a long long long time. Name a game that wont play on a Geforce3......there isnt one

^^^ greatly said
    Experience OUTLaW

Digger
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

Yep, no benches out for it yet are there?
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Originally posted by tricktx
    dont waste your money. Just like the 9700 till it drops in price. The best value card at the moment id either the TI4200 or the Radeeon 8500, and these cards will last for a long long long time. Name a game that wont play on a Geforce3......there isnt one
    Agreed

I agree man why people spend alot of money for Geforce 4400 & 4600 when you can get 4200 just little difference but the price is huge difference.. Will you spend $100-$150.. to get like 10 - 15% faster? Also video card is huge demand so there is alway new video card comming out each year..
    Leo

nice to know my gf4ti4200 128 will last me a while . I think that the newer cards are just a waste of money. It's only useful for bragging rights.

PS: what's a geforce4 ti4000?

Gone
    Originally posted by tricktx
    I agree, I bought the G3(original-faster than ti200) VisionTek card when it first came out and it has yet to find a game that it wont tear up! Most everything I max out the video quality to high (not max performance) and use 2 or 4x anti-alis. still running at 1024x768 32bit color and some even at 1280x 1024. When a game keep me from playing at 1024x768 16bit no anti-alis max performance setiing then its time for a new card. But alas theres alot of power to be used up before that happens. Be another year-year and a half till then.

- In Quake III Arena in 1280x1024 with 4x FSAA enabled, NV30 is going to be 2.5 times faster than the GeForce4 Ti4600.

- In the next Doom the board based on NV30 will be able to show 3.5 times or or even more of the performance the current Nvidia`s flagship product has to offer.

- NV30 will score three times more than the GeForce4 Ti4600 in 3D Mark 2001.

- Effective HQ Pixel Fillrate (2x anisotropic filtering enabled) of the newcomer with will be about 2.7 times more than that of the fastest NV25.

- As for pixel-shading speed, it will be 4 times of the NV25.

- Nvidia claims that its upcoming GPU is capable of processing 200 millions triangles per second.

- NV30 taped out last week. Expect it to arrive between late Oct to early Dec if they have no more changes to the silicon, otherwise it's likely to be Jan or possibly Feb.

- Vertex Shaders beyond DirectX 9 with up to 1024 static instructions, up to 65536 instructions executed in loops, branches and subroutines.

- Pixel Shaders beyond DirectX 9 - up to 1024 instructions
    Long programs for both pixel shading and vertex shading.

- Support for OpenGL and DirectX HLSL via NVIDIA's Cg
    OpenGL extensions that support long pixel and vertex shaders programs.

- 128-bit floating point color precision.

- Support for high-speed DDR2 memories.

- 8X AGP.

- Built on 0.13-micron process technology.

http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2...200502nv30.html

http://www.3dnews.ru/reviews/video/nv30-preview/

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1678&p=1

http://www.voodooextreme.com/hw/previews/cinefx/

cant comment much about NV3x , wait until they release and see how great is it..
    There can be only one.®©

Ultimate Member

Someone ask for benches???

Awsome info RobRich.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

I agree with bigblue66.

I'm always a year or 18 months behind. Although I can afford it, I don't see the point in staying on the bleeding edge with a $5000 computer. Since games and apps are 18 to 24 months behind, so I'll be also. But then waiting for next weeks latest and greatest or waiting until the "next" latest and greatest, gives me nothing but headaches. Give me Win98SE baby, and away I'll go being a happy camper.

Yeah, it's nice to drool. I appreciate the nice new technology. Just give me a good reason to buy it. I'm not paying $499 just to have a better 3dMark score. Someone is always faster...
    2400+ (12x166)
    8RDA Rev 1.1 (3305 BIOS)
    2x256 TwinMos/Windbond PC3200
    AIW 9700 Pro (Cat3.1, MMC8.0)
    Audigy
    SE=15,517
    Game2=163.1 (HiDetail)
    Game4=120.4 (Nature)
    03=5060