Thread: what is the best driver for my tnt card?

what is the best driver for my tnt card?

I had problems with installing my drivers, but i finally with the help of Bill? got my computer running. I currently have 1241 drivers. I have a TNT 4400 velocity video card 1998? 333celeron overclocked to 450...been that way since 1998. Win 98. system worked fine for years until bone head me decides I want to update my drivers for the video card, well I screwed everything up and finally Bill on this sight helped my out. I completely deleted all drivers and installed the current drivers. It seems unstable...I quake 3 and when I try to refresh the server connections, or if I try to quit the game it locks up. So my question is "whew" what drivers would you recommend and how to I install them, do I need to completely uninstall the current drivers? Thanks for reading this.

I just learned how to get the FPS on Q3 and I was surprized, my computer flew through the demo. It was 61fps, when the guy who built my computer in 98 installed q3 and tweaked it for me he got it to around 52fps. Maybe the drivers are alright after all maybe another problem?
    Last edited by tksanchez; 08-17-2002 at 10:16 PM.

It's probably the drivers. Try these:

http://www.reactorcritical.com/files...in9x_21.83.exe

Use the Detonator Destroyer ahead of time:

http://www.guru3d.com/detonator-destroyer/

If no joy, open System Information (MSINFO32.EXE) and navigate to Hardware Resources > IRQs. Click anywhere in the right pane and then press CTRL-A and then CTRL-C. You have copied that data to the clipboard. Paste that data in a reply here.

Who's this Bill guy?
    MS MCP, MCSE

bill when i use destroyer and restart, the new hardware wizard comes up and wants to search for the best driver or wants me to select the best driver....do i close the hardware wizard and go to reactor critical and download the driver and let it install itself? thanks tony
    the web site guro 3D said this

When the machine has restarted, Install the display adapter as "Standard VGA"

Restart when prompted

Install the new display drivers

Restart again

Is the display adapter the drivers that i am downloading? or do i need to install this befor i download the drivers?

You should have downloaded them beforehand. Click cancel on the upgrade and double-click the driver file. Simple.
    MS MCP, MCSE

bill i closed the hardware wizard and downloaded the drivers and they installed automatically. It asked to restart my computor so i did...when it restarted it started to build an information base, then it said to finish setting up hardware it must restart, this is where i run into problems, it starts to reboot fine then it goes to a black screen with a curser in the upper left corner, and wont do anything.

bill what folder do i download the files to, i always run the download because i dont know what folder to put them into

You need to get into the habit of downloading to the Desktop and then storing or deleting later.

Do this:

Boot up with the Startup floppy. Type:

cd C:
    SCANREG /RESTORE

Choose a time from yesterday. Manually change the display adapter to "Standard VGA" and then restart. Reinstall the new drivers.
    MS MCP, MCSE

bill i rebooted with startup disk, changed from a drive to c drive and typed in SCANREG /RESTORE, but is comes up a bad command, what am i doing wrong?

Nothing. Boot normally and press F8 after POST. Choose Command Prompt Only from the menu. Now type those commands.
    MS MCP, MCSE

bill the drivers are installed! this is weird but I couldnt get to the command prompt, i tried f8 and also the ctrl key, so i thought ill just installt the drivers and that black screen will come up, ill just restart and it will let me access the command prompt. so i did just that walked off came back and my computer restarted with the drivers installed! the one thing i did different was i downloaded to my desktop this time i wonder if that made a difference?

do i still need to go into the command prompt?
    Last edited by tksanchez; 08-18-2002 at 01:47 PM.

I would answer that with a big no.
    MS MCP, MCSE

thanks very much bill i will let you know how the drivers work

bill when i play quake everything is fine for about 5min, then it starts to get choppy (a quick check of my ping while i am playing shows 50ping), at first i thought it was my dsl, but when i quit the online server that i am on and hit multiplayer to check what other servers are out there, it locks up for about 3 min, or if i try to quit the game completely it locks up and i have to reboot. I did a fresh download of the demo q3 hoping that would solve the problem but no such luck.

I did a fresh install of win98 recently also

any ideas?
    Last edited by tksanchez; 08-18-2002 at 02:07 PM.

It might be a heat problem. Try removing the cover or one side of the case and run the game again. If you're overclocking anything, turn it back down.
    MS MCP, MCSE