Thread: Win XP Home - queries

Win XP Home - queries

Hello.

I am about to complete building my second ever computer. My friend has Windows XP and he has made a backup copy for me to use. I intendto install it and use it for a while to ascertain whether it is worth purchasing or not.

I have heard rumours regarding its security. If I install this will there be anything which prevents me from using it? Do I have to register it?

I hope you understand my question as it is alittle vague.

Hope to hear some useful comments from you more experienced people.

Thx. Dan.

you must activate your windows xp within 30days. you are only supposed to install xp on one system.

is there any way around this?

any crack that i could use?

now you're getting into dangerous territory. that's what the activation was meant to prevent.

you should really buy your own cd.

I do intend buying it myself, but only once i am happy that i am not waisting my money...

Thanks.

Go to a computer fair and buy an oem copy from one of the builders. I get them for $89 for pro version. And no you won't be wasting your $$$. And no, nobody here is going to give you a crack for it.
    And if your buddy is somebody you like having for a friend you really shouldnt be using his copy or key especially after you load it up and go on-line to the MS site looking for up-dates.

Originally posted by dafordster
    I do intend buying it myself, but only once i am happy that i am not waisting my money...

Thanks.
    Y bother, if you really don't like what XP has to offer, go use LINUX, with LINUX you can make it be like a MAC, Win98, WinXP, WinNT, Solaris, something totally out of this world, etc.

the possibilities are endless with LINUX, and it's 100% FREE, any version any flavour you like.

as a fairly inexperienced user would this not cause me more problems the necessary - how difficult is it to learn how to use? How about conficuring my setup for example? Hardware setup etc etc...

I am interested in what you have to say but am a bit skeptical about jumping in at the deep end with linux. Plus I don't know anyone who uses linux so is this a good idea?

if you are afraid of changes, you can partition your drive and have windows on C and Linux on D
    or have 2 HDD
    windows on 1 HDD and linux on another HDD

ok, might be worth thinking about cos i was planning on partitioning my drive anyway as i have just invested in a 60GB drive.

see if your local library is running xp and play with it there to see if you like it.

what are you going to do with it, and what's in your new pc? if it's for gaming, you should find w98se cheaply. if it's not the strongest pc with at least 512MB of mem, then go with w2000 if you don't like wxp.

cheers men...

good idea about the library, might try that one out.

I have exactly 512MB of ram, will that cause me problems in using Win xp?

Cheers for the suggestions...

memory not a problem I'm only running 256 and she works fine..

Wallijon is right... you should probably go to Win98se and try it out if you want to know how XP runs.... XP can be setup to emulate a win98 screen so you should feel comfortable using it... XP just has a few neat tricks that make it a "better buy"...... but after awhile they all seem the same anyway... hmmm
    Last edited by william_w30; 08-15-2002 at 08:38 PM.
    William

First of all, any new PC will run better with XP than most any MS product. You'd be nuts to install anything less than Windows 2000.

Second, Linux is not for someone who's wary of XP. The learning curve is much too steep.

Third, this thread was started based on a query into piracy and how to avoid being caught. Hence, this thread is closed and dafordster is on notice that further violations of SysOpt policy will result in a harsh stare at the very least.
    MS MCP, MCSE