Thread: cant read disk

cant read disk

i had a 40 gig western digital hdd running win me on a pc. I took that hdd and put it in an HP Kayak workstation. The Kayak doesnt recognize the hdd on the bios at all. I took that 40 gig and tried it on another and it worked fine. It is also not the ide cables. I dont want to format the 40 gig..i need the files on there...any ideas on how to make it read it...o yeah i tried another hdd on on the kayak (a 60 gig WD thinking the bios wouldnt support 35 gigs or more), but it recognized that one fine...any suggestions would be great..thanks.

is the HDD jumpered as SLAVE or CABLE SELECT? should be SLAVE?
    it is always the last thing you check...

WD drives need to have no jumpers used for a single drive on the cable. If there's another drive present, place the master jumper.
    MS MCP, MCSE

yeha i've tried it with no jumpers and it didnt work. THe 60 gig that I put in was seen with it jumped as a master. The disk is on the primary channel with no other disks. The only other hdd in the pc is a scsi drive. So i really dunno what to do. Thanks!

Just get the BIOS upgrade for your Mobo

seems like everybody missed the lines he talked about being able to read the 60 gig by fluke, cuz it can't read past 35 gig by default.

Sorry I took so long, but i tried the bios update and still nothing.

If the Kayak recognizes the 60GB WD, it should see the 40GB. Why don't you try putting it in as a slave drive to test it?
    MS MCP, MCSE