Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Parents against gaming. your thoughts?

Fact of the matter is, if you want to play games you are going to find a way to play games. Your Mom needs to realize that you may be a 10th grader, but you are a 10th grader with enough testosterone to kill your Dad. You need an OUTLET. Some kids skateboard, others act in drama, still others play football(the kind with pads, not squeeling, mullet wearing greasers being carried off the field on a strecher, only to return on the next substitution.) If you are getting a freaking 4.0, WHAT IS YOUR OCD MOTHER DOING? Is this an Oprah thing? Or does she have an argument to back up her dictorial stance?

Ultimately, you will play games. Be it at your buddies house, or when Mom jets out to the store, you will still do it. Have you tried telling her "at least I won't get anyone pregnant playing video games?"

If all else fails, update her frequently on the number of hours until you graduate and, hence, will be able to play video games again. I found petty annoyance to be an effective negotiation tool when I was a Teen.

Sorry about the soccer rant. I guess I am an ugly American after all.
    Last edited by Dave Myers; 08-13-2002 at 07:15 PM.

" What momma dont know doesn't hurt her."
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

It's more important to teach children that everything has it's time and place, so they can understand their priorities before they start learning the hard way (in this case, start getting bad grades). In your mparticular case, this means that both gaming and school can coexist peacefully if you don't neglect the most important of them, because if you do you'll be sorry later, believe me. Prove this to your parents and you'll probably game trough the year, no problems

well. im just going to complain constantly about my inability to game. I will walk around with little or no enthusiasm or energy. i will periodically leave printed internet articles about the benefits of gaming on the dinner table. my parents don't even let me have a girlfriend (not that that has stopped me) so they wouldn't even let a girl come into my house if there is an obvious relation between us. bringing in the most easy girl in town would mean that im not even allowed in. i also hope to win my dad over to videogames. he likes world war 2 movies and im trying to get him to play dod, once he starts playing it, he'll be hooked. hopefully he will convince my mom to let me play and i will enjoy the bliss of gaming once again.

PS: just curious. anyone here game 1-3 hours a day and get into college? my parents say that it's not possible (i think that's because they are stubborn and narrowminded).

My cousin graduated with a 4.4 GPA and is at UCF right now. He has so many different scholarships he actually gets some money for "living expenses." (he can live like a king off of it too!) This is his first year in college and he already has enough credits to actually have "sophomore" status.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

My cousin graduated with a 4.4 GPA and is at UCF right now
    Now thats a good trick. I couldn't get away with that when I was in school.

Parental advise

As a Parent myself I can somewhat see what may be going on... your mother may be using school as an excuse but something is obviously bothering her about you "playing" games on the computer... maybe she is worried your social life will suffer or maybe she's worried some stalker will track you down and snuff you out.. or maybe she's just stressed about something else and wants to spend time with you ... without having to compete for attention..

Maybe she is just a woman!!! no offense intended
    but who else can explain why a woman does the things she does etc... most women don't even understand themselves.. although they try and BS you into thinking they do..

Take heart and just sit and listen to your mom... more than likely she does just want to spend time with you...

I'm 35 with a wife and two kids / own my own home and two vehicles and I'm retiring within the next 2 years and its all because of computers... well a little effort too but.... couldn't be doing it slinging burgers at McDonalds..
    remind her it serves it own purpose.
    William

I can definitely symphasize with you guys. I'm a good student too - I have a 3.9 GPA (My school doesn't do weighted GPAs), I play piano and bassoon (That's an hour and a half a day of practicing) and I pretend to play guitar. I'm in an orchestra, and I don't party or do drugs.
    I play between a half hour and an hour of games a day, and attend occasional LAN parties. My parent's freaked when they found out I had been playing CS online (using the cable modem that I'm paying for, no less) They must of thought that CS came with some really good bots! I told them that I didn't see any difference between online and offline play.
    The strategy I've had the best luck with is playing less games when they complain, and ramping it up afterwards.
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

Allright here is a simple solution that may help. Play your games with earphones. Ask yourself "Who wants to listen to that racket for hours at a time. Show some respect , get your work done first and do something nice for mom once in a while, like make a Pretty card or find a recipie for her favorite candy. It's a give and take world. With any luck in the end you will figure this out.

my parents and sister think i have NO life what so ever (and that might be true )but i dont care. my dad would smash my comp into bits if he could, but he wont. he said, this year, he is pulling the plug unless i make the grades. dam*

ill try to do nice things for my mom so that i can play games again. it really sucks to not be able to play games... i'm going to miss a lot of things. gaming is really my favorite hobby. i play games when i am bummed out, stressed out, or just to have fun. my parents are taking an integral part of my life away and it's not fair at all. but i have no choice but to comply.

Also, i don't want to do anything better than i did before games, because that will show that games hinder me. Which they don't. i really think that games help me. i know all i know about computers from games. i would never have built our **** computer if it weren't for knowledge gained by playing games. now, you might think "i have never heard of a game where you learn to build pcs... stop your bs!" well true, there probably isn't a game where you directly learn to do anything in computers other than type. But while i'm immersed in the game, i am immersed in the computer environment. perhaps something goes wrong while im playing? that's troubleshooting (and more specificallly, critical thinking) put to good use trying to solve this problem. suppose i want to play better games? i build a better computer (this takes the ability to follow directions, common sense, and some bargain hunting ) oh well. i come to this thread to just tell you all the one thing you should NOT do to your kids, which is to strip away from them the one thing that makes them happier than anyhting in the world.

I think if you can convince your parents on how much you learn from computer games( there are games that make you learn with them) and all the other stuff you have said you may have a chance.

If not bring your computer to a friends house keep it there; then spend all your time at his/her house playing it, your mom will think you have a new best friend and your social life is great when really you are gaming.

Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Heh, I don't think his mom is worried about his social life if he isn't "allowed" (yeah right, i know chowdy) to have a GF. Heh, be like me and have your parents so worried about your sanity that they don't wanna mess with you too much works wonders. Also, his 4.4GPA is all classes not just academic ones.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-