Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Parents against gaming. your thoughts?

Parents against gaming. your thoughts?

Ok, well its the summer time here and school is out. im a college-bound kid with 4.0 gpa and all that other bs. my mom says that when school starts this september (i will be starting my 10th grade year) that there will be NO games WHATSOEVER. What do you parents and gaming-teens have to say about this. i don't want to complain or anything on these boards, but i just want to know if you think that what she's doing is a wise deicision or not.

PS: i'd also like some strategies to get my gaming back!

uhh, wow. If you can keep your grades up like that and get your work done on time then I see no reason for your mom to take away your games. Unless you sit there all day. I had my privleges sp? taken away for that. Did she give you a reason for taking the games away?

I dont see the problem, you have a 4.0 but your mom wontlet you play games.

My parents never cared if I played games, as I always got all A's but they said if I were ever to gte say a C they would betaken away.

I dont know? is your social life hurting from spending a lot fo time on computers? That may be a reason if it is. Try to reason with her and say.

'Mom I get 4.0 in school, this should show I am responsible with my school work and should have the chance to play games somtimes'

I dont know, before were you allowed to play games during the school year?
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Every kid needs free time it is your decision what to do in that free time.

Theres a lotta kids in 10th grade out there doing drugs and dropping outta school. You must be doing something right....

Sometimes parents push kids too hard to do good in school and forget that once you lose your childhood you can never get it back again. Have fun while you can because you can never go back.

Believe me, working 60hrs a week after college leaves little time for fun....
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

Ultimate Member
    My parents always threaten to ban the compo etc etc especially near the time of exams, however they very rarely do it -- i have to set fire to the kitchen table deliberatley or some such midemeanor for them to actually follow through on their often idle threats

In fact my mum gets more disgruntled about my dads gaming habit than mine

--Jakk

if u want a strat for you to be able to play games, suggest a time limit. I can use this thing all the time i want in the summer or vacation, but when school starts i get two hours a day. Maybe ure mom will like that idea? I no time limits suck but at least youll be able to use the thing.

Try to bargain her down, and do all your housework so you get what you want.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

What's "school" ?!
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

My kids have unlimited time to play games, watch tv and use the computers. They just have to get good grades. They both had marks in the 90's last year, so they had no limits whatsoever. Your mother is wrong to try and prevent you from doing something you enjoy. It will only create animosity towards her and schooling. Taking away priviledges such as gaming should only be done as disciplinary action. Ask your mother only to prevent or reduce your game time if your grades suffer. You will get your homework and or assignments done a lot quicker if you know you will be able to do something you enjoy afterwards.

Tell her to set u a gaming limit like an hour a day or something and then like 2 on the weekends.
    I remember when i was like in 7th grade i used to have those. I used to get like half hour a day and then unlimited on the weekends , so that was fun. But then my friend had only 2 hours on weekends. lol It was like his special 2 hrs no one was allowed in his room and he never picked up the phone . lol if he did he wouldnt talk. O well it was a fun time
    regards,

the xenon

Gone
    Dont know what to tell ya. When I was in school home pc's were too expensive. So I used them at school. Thats where I did my first cpu and mem upgrade on a 486 in High Tech class! Now my neighbor had a pc in the 386 days and I played on that-but my parents didnt know! hehe. But then the nintendo came out and then limits were set. Homework done first-grades stay up and its off at super time. New era of kids. New set of rules I guess. But just the same I think if your grades stay the same and your in bed on time (not up all night gaming) then it shouldnt matter at all. Time limits on the weekend are really bogus- you could be out shooting heroin up with your freinds or something instead. Tell her happy gamers are streight! That might get the point across. Your mind needs some kind of release from work especially when your younger. You will find your vice one way or another. If you were my kid I'd be glad that pc's took up your free time and not worse things! Try to tell her your prepairing for the future by becoming more pc oriented-something she didnt do or have the ability to. Most jobs you have to be fluent on pc's to even get the job! Thats a accet these days on your resume!!!

Dude - that bites!!! I'll be going to college this year - I graduated with a 3.96. Only reason for that was I opted to take tech school comp/electronics. classes which aren't weited - or I would have had over 4. I played games all I wanted - I went to parties whenever I wanted - and did pretty much what I wanted. My parents WERE strict about having a general idea what I was doing, where I was, and when to expect me back (you know - the "ask" commercials here in the US:P) As long as I kept my grades up - I could spend as much time on the computer as I wanted. In fact - my "computer junkie" habits landed me a near full scholarship to a computer science program at the college I've wanted to go to since I was a freshmen - try THAT approach She MIGHT be pushing for a more social life for you - but if that's not what you want - or it's fine - I don't think she should push it. I got most of my social life chatting - cause I really didn't get to talk to people much during classes. Then you got LAN parties (That's a social event - right?! )

Bottom line - find out WHY she feels this way. My mom was afraid "I'd have too much homework" - I don't know about your HS/classes - but I rarely had homework - when I did I'd just do it the next day in some required fly-by classes (we had alternating day schedules). Point out scholarship opportunities. If computers are what you love - you're not going to get a scholarship in auto mechanics:P You have to CARE about the subject to excel - and caring about computers is what got me and a lot of my friends where we are!! Even if you don't care about the hardware/physical aspects of a computer - coding games is an ART - a lot of people can not do it - if that's your interest - you may have an excellent chance at going that direction. In that case - you of course need to 'research' :P and learn what works and what doesn't in the gaming world!!!!!

Sorry this is so long - but I really do feel that as long as your grades are fine - and you've atleast got SOME social life (you don't have to go out every weekend) - then it's kind of a harsh restriction.

my parents are dead

My mom grounded me from my comp a couple times. She wondered why I never complained. One night I came home with a couple different funny smells on my breath and I was a little tipsy so I couldn't GET THE M#FING SCREEN BACK ON MY WINDOWWWWWWWWWWW ARGHHHHH. So when I woke up to my mom yelling at me because the screen was off my window and why I looked messed up I knew it was over. Well, she hasn't been ANYWHERE near as quick to get on my case about being on the PC after that. After a few weeks of indiscretion I have straighened out and am a good kid now. I make good grades too, 3.85 (cuz I'm lazy and I take classes like AP and my math is a year ahead AND honors) This year I'll do better and I'll make a 4.0 cuz I won't be so GD lazy. I think I did 2HW assignments the whole year and managed to pull of a 3.85. I guess that is a true show of my own stupidity since I could've had a 4.0. Oh well I was fresman so thankfully it doesn't count as much.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

Gone
    Originally posted by Mutant_Donkey
    my parents are dead
    Sorry to hear that.
    But your here