Thread: chaintech?

chaintech?

A little off topic, but has anyone here had experience with the Chaintech motherboards? I just ordered one, and haven't found much in the way of user reviews. Not hoping for a miracle, just a decent stable board. Anyone?
    Chuck
    <A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/ocdatabase.cgi?go=1&k=cheapster

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/ocdatabase.cgi?go=1&k=cheapster

</A>

Re: chaintech?

Originally posted by cheapster
    Not hoping for a miracle, just a decent stable board.
    I have nothing to say.

That's exactly what you'll get - a decent, stable motherboard. You don't deserve it, you cheapskate!
    MS MCP, MCSE

not many problems with chaintech boards ive heard of. unless your looking for ultra high performance, plethora of features, etc then chaintech is not an option.

Re: chaintech?

Originally posted by cheapster
    A little off topic, but has anyone here had experience with the Chaintech motherboards? I just ordered one, and haven't found much in the way of user reviews. Not hoping for a miracle, just a decent stable board. Anyone?
    Chuck
    On the bright side, i've not heard of any complains about their Mobos.

as the old saying goes..

"No news is good news"

That's good to hear since I just bought one to replace a damaged Shuttle AK10 (flakey AGP) in my bench computer. I just wanted a better home for a still useful Athlon 750 and at $37 including shipping, the Chaintech 7AIV5 should be good enough for the job. I gain 266FSB support and a functional AGP 2x/4x slot but lose some PCI slots going from full-sized ATX to microATX.

From what I have read the Apogee is the only Chaintech mobo worthy of consideration.
    It retails for $120.00 at NewEgg.com.
    Has some of the best OC features arround, the setting of 166fsb in bios does not work. Also the 1/5 dividor is inoperative, maybe they will get this fixed soon.
    Should be able to upgrade the bios file to ackomplish this.
    That is all I know about that product.

Well, the Chaintech I ordered is the KT133E chipset model CT-7AJA2E for $33.50 from compgeeks. Using it to build a cheap (see nickname) but functional system for my wife. Had old duron 850, Geforce 2 Pro already on hand, found cheap case and motherboard from compgeeks, found pretty good deals on 32x12x40 cdrw ($19.95 after rebate) Kingston Valueram 256 MB PC-133 $19.95 after rebate and hard drive Maxtor 40 gig D740x $69.95 after rebate and included free ATA 133 controller card. Also had a Logitech Optical mouse and Logitech keyboard in the closet, so thought I should try to build a "cheap but highly functional" system. Assuming I collect on the rebates from OfficeMax and Office Depot, I will only have invested about $200 or so and will have to shop for another decent yet cheap 17" monitor. Case and motherboard due to arrive monday, so I will see how it goes.... Thanks for the replies.
    Chuck

</A>

Well, the Chaintech I ordered is the KT133E chipset model CT-7AJA2E for $33.50 from compgeeks. Using it to build a cheap (see nickname) but functional system for my wife. Had old duron 850, Geforce 2 Pro already on hand, found cheap case and motherboard from compgeeks, found pretty good deals on 32x12x40 cdrw ($19.95 after rebate) Kingston Valueram 256 MB PC-133 $19.95 after rebate and hard drive Maxtor 40 gig D740x $69.95 after rebate and included free ATA 133 controller card. Also had a Logitech Optical mouse and Logitech keyboard in the closet, so thought I should try to build a "cheap but highly functional" system. Assuming I collect on the rebates from OfficeMax and Office Depot, I will only have invested about $200 or so and will have to shop for another decent yet cheap 17" monitor. Case and motherboard due to arrive monday, so I will see how it goes.... Thanks for the replies.
    Chuck

</A>

Is this the same type system you have??
    Do you think your wife deserves as good a system as you?
    The way you talk, I bet you don't have a very good relationship with your own wife, but your name spells out the kind of guy you really are.

The way you talk, I bet you don't have a very good relationship with your own wife, but your name spells out the kind of guy you really are.
    Since you don't know me, or my wife, (at least, I hope not! ), bobyjo, I will assume your remarks are a feeble attempt at humor. The truth of the matter is that I attempt to maintain 3 systems on our little home LAN for the use of our 3 boys, my wife and myself. Since the boys use them most of the time, they are equipped for "budget gaming". Two of them have older Apollo Pro 133A chipset motherboards, one a Celeron 600@900 and the other a Celeron 900@1.08 gig. The "bad boy" of the group is a KT133a chipset MSI board recently upgraded from the aforementioned Duron 850 to a Athlon XP 1700+, and a recently purchased visiontek Geforce 3 video card (oem, for about a hundred bucks shipped). I also recently upgraded the celeron systems to Visiontek geforce 3 Ti200 video cards which I picked up off an auction site for $165 shipped for the pair of them. When my wife needs to use a PC, she generally uses the fastest one since it has her sandisk image mate reader for her digital camera installed on the usb hub and also has our scanner attached to its' parallel port. You see, we share everything.
    It is only recently she mentioned it would be nice to be able to work on some of her powerpoints upstairs away from the rest of the hub-bub of the LAN, which can get pretty noisy if the boys get a game of half life going. But my wife shares my desire to be economical and didn't want me to spend too much money on the upstairs system since it will be used more for office type applications and she doesn't want it to have games on it. I figured a Duron 850 system with 256 mb of ram and a Geforce 2 Pro video card should handle anything she or I would throw at it, so I don't really need more than that.
    We will be celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary next month, and if she wanted me to build her an XP 2200+ or P4 2.53 gig system, I would. For that matter, if she really wanted a top line Dell or Alienware system, she would have one as well. But, like me she tends to try satisfy needs rather than wants.
    So I guess if you found anyone to take that bet, you would be a major loser. But then only if you made that bet.
    Chuck

</A>

Yes I did mean this as a means of humer.
    I am really glad you have a good relationship with you family.
    Me too, we celebrated our 30th aniversary earlier this year.
    My wife has an equal system as I. Both have KT333 chipsets, and both have R8500 retail vid cards and the same size HD.
    My wife is a very great personal friend to me. I have been totally disabled since 1998, She has taken over the role as the sole income person in our family. She has never complained about this.
    We have a wonderful relationship, and I must assume you have the same.
    Congratulations on your annivesary. Hope you have many more.

Thanks, BJ. Sorry to hear about your physical challenges, but congratulations to you and your wife on your recent 30th anniversary. Looking forward to ours down the road, since, by then our youngest son will be almost 20 and hopefully he and his brothers will be out of the house! (j/k, we love our boys, even when they drive us crazy) Wish me luck with the chaintech build since I am not used to setting jumpers. Spoiled by soft BIOS of MSI boards.
    Chuck

</A>

Well back on the subject of motherboards, chaintech tend to be a good supplier of OEM mobos.

I had a CT-7AJA board it was nothing special but just worked and not much you coud do to it really. I di have problems trying to get a soundblaster working but that was more down to the creative and soundblaster drivers having a good old fasihioned dust up.

So keep it simple and you will by fine.

Davey