Thread: cam to pc

cam to pc

Hi, I am trying to connect my camcorder to my pc(98se). The camcorder has a USB out and a DV out. I am using Pixela ImageMixer.Is USB any good for this, or am I better off using the DV connection? If I do use the DV connection , how do you plug in to the pc. Do I need a DV card or something? thanks....

You might be best off to use usb 2.0 if the cam is compatible and high speed.....but as for the DV I think you would have to use a video transfer box and go through fire wire....
    Daedalus

Thanks gg. What is a vid tran box? and fire wire? And how much do they cost? Would I need a good graphics card, and can Win98se do DV fire wire? My manual says it can't. So many questions........!!! thanks again

please HELP

Originally posted by jimijames
    Thanks gg. What is a vid tran box? and fire wire? And how much do they cost? Would I need a good graphics card, and can Win98se do DV fire wire? My manual says it can't. So many questions........!!! thanks again
    Video Transfer Box - Think of it like what you use to plug a ordinary PC onto a ordinary TV - it converts/transfers the signal type. Cost - possibly could run around $1000 (US), though im not sure, as im not in the US.

FireWire - Another Port/Cable within the PC range. These come standard on Apple PC's/Notebooks, but arn't usually built in by default to a standard PC. This port was designed/developed by Apple, for the transfer of images/data from Camera's and digital handycams/camcorders onto a PC. Unless you have an apple, i wouldnt expect your PC to have one.

Video Card - If you plan to be doing Video Editing.. then you'll need a decent one of these. But, do note.. if the PC is more than say approx 3 yrs old you'll probably need a total system upgrade.
    Anyway to Graphics... nothing less than say a GeoForce II with 64MB RAM.

Finally... id also possibly consider upgrading to Win 2K or XP, if you plan to do video editing. For one reason... if using USB 2.0, i dont believe Win98SE has any support for it - but you could always check for driver upgrades for Win98.
    As to DV.. well you'll possibly need another card.. depending on your existing Video and sound cards.
    DV is an optical cable for the transfer of video as data.

To make a true judgement as to what is best in this instance, one needs to also consider the PC which its being transfered to, before considering any new purchases.

Hi Danee, thanks for your reply. So , is a video card the same as a graphics card? And can I just use a fire wire card, since my camcorder has a DV out? My pc has a pentium3 900mhz with 256mb of ram and 30gb HD.I also have adobe premier. As I understand it , I need a fire wire card and a good graphics card and thats all ....I hope. Does that sound right to you, or am I missing something? Thanks again for your help....nice 1

Oh....does fire wire work with win98se?

You dont need USB 2.0 , they've been doing it for sometime without it. Besides your camcorder must support it.
    What you need:
    A Digital Video (DV) Capture card.
    A DV link cable.
    DV Capture/Editing software.
    A pc with a min. 350mhz cpu , but more like 500mhz.
    A minimum of 5g hard drive space (some claim 20).
    W98 is limited to 4g file size (20min) due to Fat32 file system.
    W2K and XP w/ NTFS file sysytem you have unlimited file size.

The slower your system the slower to edit the video. The tranfer is all in the cam and capture card , which will be Firewire( IEEE1394). Normally the cards are packaged with a software bundle. Just be sure to install the appropriate drivers.
    The camcorder should have come with a DV out link cable. If not its best to buy from the manuf. since chances are the cam's DVport is proprietary, but the DV in or Firewire (IEEE1394)is standard.
    Adobe Premire is the best editing software, but its $400us. Any other will do the job.
    Its likely the usb port on the camcorder is for still shots or a moments worth of capture. Like a webcam. Not for tranfering a large vid file.
    W98se will support IEEE1394 or commonly known as Firewire.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for your reply, very helpful. So, is a DV capt. card the same as a Firewire card, or do I need both? And are all Firewire cards the same speed? I am told that Firewire has only one standard transfer rate. cheers

Yes, a DVcapture card is a firewire card. IEEE1394 spec is 400 Mbit/sec . FAST. Read all about it by following the links.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...70&Langue_ID=7

http://www.adstech.com/products/PYRO...id=API-1394PCI

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/pro...-1394+Adapters

http://www.bestbuy.com/ComputersPeri...=521&scat=1751

For better pricing : http://www.pricewatch.com/

Links provided by Google

many thanks Rockxxx