Thread: Weird SETI instances

Weird SETI instances

THis was odd... noticed it this weekend as I had the comp running basically the whole time:

Running the command line interface at stock speeds (XP 1800+, 133.9MHz FSBx2 = 268MHz, 1550MHz, no underclocking by default ), I averaged almost 5:00 hrs per WU.

Got ticked off... overclocked back to 2000+ (147x2 FSB, 1690MHz) and dropped to just over 3 hrs per WU!

Seem interesting? It sure does to me!

Ideas? I had the RAM CAS latency set to "FAST" in my ECS K7S5A BIOS (while running at the stock speeds), no idea if that's 2.5 CL (I think it might be). Dropped the RAM timing to Normal (when running at O/C speeds), and now the system is rock solid stable as well, more stable than at stock speeds. Another interesting point for sure...

Observations?

Logan
    Last edited by Logan[TeamX]; 10-28-2002 at 11:04 AM.

Sounds good!

My stock 1900+ does a wu in just over 4 hrs. so the 1800+ at 5 and the 2000+ at 3 wouldn't be unusual.

I think the motherboard could have something to do with your oc ability. Some boards handle it better than others.

I've been hearing from others that the ECS board is very nice. I have an ASUS A7V266E that performs well for my needs.

And as far as AMD is concerned, you're preaching to the choir.

Thanks for the reply RampageIII!

I'm going to try a new trick I learned today to get my GeForce 2 Ti to work in Win2K / XP... see what happens.

If that works, I know I'll be doing a little better for WUs in Win2K, and a heck of a lot more stable!

Logan

Could have been the MB or maybe memory. I run a stock AMD 1700+ on an Asus A7V266E at home. Maybe I'll play around with the speed and see what it'll do OC'd. At work everything is Intel, mostly PIII 450's & 933's all stock Dell systems. You run a whole bunch of them (about 56 or so) on Seti and you can do some good Wu/day though

My g/f killed my comp last night... hence why my totals have been so slow lately... I might have to go buy a new mobo.

I am not pleased about the mobo, but stuff happens.

Might get a better one anyways.

have you tried replacing the g/f?
    ***viBe***
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

LOL No... keeps coming up "you do not have sufficient permission to modify ownership. check your permissions with your local domicile administrator to see if you indeed have permissions to modify ownership on all-powerful object."

I guess I'm not on the ACL for G/F 2.0. It claims ownership of you, you have no ownership over it

Oh yeah, I'm back up to the 6+ hrs / WU in WinME again. Normally I get about 3 WUs done per night, but now today as of 7:00AM EST I was at 1 1/2, projected time to finish was 6:40 on SETI Driver. (as in 6 hrs 40 mins)

I'll check it out in more detail when I get home.

PS - that's with the system back up and running, fresh format, running at 147x2 FSB (1690 MHz).

Logan

[EDIT] - I'm making a SETI@Home section on my site soon. Pop by if you're bored - Team X Racing Website