Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: O.C. a Athlon XP 1700+ questions.

O.C. a Athlon XP 1700+ questions.

Are the Athlon XP1700+ CPU and higher, O.C. in the same manner as the regular Athlons/Durons? Is the "pencil trick" still used for these XP series processores? Any articles might be nice. Thanks again. Laterz.

The pencil trick does not work with the AMD Athlon XP's.

Here is an article from Toms Hardware which shows you how do unlock the XP. There is a movie file you can download which shows you how to unlock it.

http://www17.tomshardware.com/column...124/index.html

Why not put your PC's idle time to good use by downloading the seti@home client HERE and then joining the Sysopt.com Users 2002 Team HERE

I killed my 1600+ trying to unlock . Now I've got my 1900+ jacked up by a huge 60 MHz ().

Thanks for the article.

You were only able to squeeze out 60mhz only ???? Sounds tempting indeed ......I think I'll read that article at Toms hardware first. Thanks for the info. guys. Laterz.

It'll run semi-stable at 139 - but I find that it will crash after 4 hours or so - but I've had it running for almost 5 days without a reboot at 138. Once I got it to make it through 3dmark once at 140 with raised core and agp voltage - but nomatter how high I set voltages it doesn't get more stable D:. I'm tempted to pick up a Duron and OC it w/ multiplier.

Athlon XP/MP series CPU 3 minute movie.

I saw the 3 minute movie on O.C. the XP/MP cpu's. A volt/ohm meter was used toward thr end. I'm assuming it's used to check for continuety. Or was it for some other specific readings? On a side note. I recently O.C. my Duron 800. I got as far as 896mhz. It locks-up every few hours or so. However I checked the cpu temp and it's only 102F. Also my pc seems like it's working slower now than it did at default! Is it my imagination or what? For example, just web browsing takes my pc an extra 5-10 seconds to download a page longer than it did before. I check the task manager, but nothing else was on at the time. So I downclocked to 880mhz. Now it seems to be running somewhat efficient. At least to the level it was at default. Maybe it's the ECS mobo. I'm going to replace my other Duron 800 micro atx mobo ( after gauging it removing the cpu hsf unit ) I'm considering the Asus A7V266. Another question I have. Does anyone out there have experience with the Exotic PC company? I want to purchase a pc case from them. Their prices seem to be good. I've just never heard of them before. Thanks alot people. Laterz.

Excelscior, you are overclocking your Duron with FSB correct? If that is the case, it is locking up either because your PCI/AGP/RAM is being run too far out of spec for your other components, or you need to bump up your core voltage a bit. If you are using multiplier on the Duron, then bumping the core voltage might help as well.

um Question here...

May I ask what a pencil trick is?

On Socket A Durons and Thunderbirds, you could unlock the multipliers by simply connecting the L1 bridges with a pencil. Doesn't work on the XP, resistence is too high and there are gaps between the bridges.

I almost screwed things up.......

As I was going thru the bios. I was looking at my settings. I have these so far. On the Frequency/Voltage control......It says CPU/PCI/speed spec. Mine reads 110/37mhz/off respectively. I connected the L1 bridges on the CPU. But I screwed up by going into the SDRAM settings. I must of had brain freeze for a moment. Because I changed my SDRAM settings from 100mhz to 133mhz. I don't know what I was thinking. My pc then died, and it would not reboot! Thankfully I read the mobo handbook and it explained how to remedy this. For those that don't know (like me) I had to locate the (clear CMOS settings) jumper JP1. Then all I had to do was switch the connections to clear the settings that I had screwed-up! After I did that, I switched it all back like it all was before. And all was back to normal ...Talk about "learn as you go" .........So all is ok now. Next time I will be very careful before I do something as dumb as just change settings at random ...........I hope someone out there can learn from my error.

I tried running my ram at 333 mhz once, it is Crucial PC2100, and some PC2100 modules can hit 333, but it didn't work just teh same.

If you really want an Athlon CPU you can OC via multiplier, but you don't want to muck around with physical alterations on your expensive chip, buy an Athlon MP. All MP's ship unlocked. For the Athlon 1800+ OEM, it's an extra $60 for the MP flavor.

hmmm i think imma try and overclock my cpu.. seems pretty easy to do.. eheh...

..I have an XP1600 (1.4ghz) that runs fine @ 1538 in 2000 and 1522 in ME....I keep it at 1500 to be safe (not unlocked)

I have gotten my 1600+ to 1.732ghz (165mhz FSB) AND run 3dMark2001SE. After the CPU warms up, then it gets unstable. I can run over 1.600ghz (155mhz FSB) consistantly (must be the RAM).
    Keeping the CPU cool is the main problem.

I have a spare 1600+ AGOGA that I'm going to attempt to unlock. Be curious to see how this baby overclocks keeping the FSB down...

Now, what was the original question again?
    2400+ (12x166)
    8RDA Rev 1.1 (3305 BIOS)
    2x256 TwinMos/Windbond PC3200
    AIW 9700 Pro (Cat3.1, MMC8.0)
    Audigy
    SE=15,517
    Game2=163.1 (HiDetail)
    Game4=120.4 (Nature)
    03=5060