Thread: o Overclock or Not To Overclock, That is the Question

o Overclock or Not To Overclock, That is the Question

I found a good site it talk about alot of stuff about computer & people's point of view. go take a look
    Click Here
    Leo

hmm Interesting reading

In this day and age, overclocking is pointless
    why would that be? If I can save over $120 by buying a 1.6A P4 and then easily OC to 2.0ghz with no extar cooling am I not getting more for my money. I can take that $100 and buy a bigger HD, more ram, or better video card.

Cost. Here is the big one in my book. What’s that? Overclocking doesn’t cost you anything more? What about that $50 HSF, and the $30 in high-CFM fans you spent to keep temps down? What about the $100 power supply and the $200 case with blowholes in places we don’t mention in public? Why not spend $15 on a HSF, $15 on 2 80mm fans, $50 on an approved power supply and $50 on a decent ATX case? Total savings : $250. That is not even considering “special RAM,” RAM sinks, water cooling, and your electric bill (something has to keep your house temp cooler to offset the more heat from your computer). With that kind of savings, you are on your way to having another computer… wouldn’t 2 1GHz machines be better then 1 1.2GHz machine?

This guy must be the worlds worst overclocker if he needs all that just to get 200 more mhz.

I realize this is from a seti point of view but I think he is way of. I see most the responses agree with me at the site.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

overclocking is pointless with a already fast cpu, but so is driving to the shops when you can walk. Its al peoples own preferences. Some people overclock their pc because they need to to keep up with current applications and games. whereas some overclock just o get a bette 3Dmark score. Its relly pointless overclocking a 1.5GHX processor because you run the risk of damaging it, and what game application needs anything higher than 1GB MAX. Yes do overlclock when the 1.5GHz becomes the low end cpu in say 5 years but until then keep your wallet happy

overclocking is pointless with a already fast cpu, but so is driving to the shops when you can walk. Its al peoples own preferences. Some people overclock their pc because they need to to keep up with current applications and games. whereas some overclock just o get a bette 3Dmark score. Its relly pointless overclocking a 1.5GHX processor because you run the risk of damaging it, and what game application needs anything higher than 1GB MAX. Yes do overlclock when the 1.5GHz becomes the low end cpu in say 5 years but until then keep your wallet happy
    If you are going to look at overclocking and say well I might damage it, then please please don’t get in a car, as you may damage it or kill yourself. I really think that if you know what you are doing you will NOT damage your PC. I never have and many others haven’t. Also not everyone builds their computer are "gaming" Some applications can and do utilize over a 1GHZ processor. Even games run a new game on a Athlon 1GHZ sure it will run and run pretty fast. Now overclock it to 1.4ghz and I bet you will see a difference in gaming. Also not everyone overclocks their PC for higher benchmarks or bragging rights. A lot of people do it for fun, including me. Now would you say my fun and enjoyment is pointless? I wouldn't.

You have your opinions I have mine. Please remember this in no way is a flame to you. Just a nice fun argument
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Hey man no ofence taken, if evryone ageed with me id probably go insane.

The situation for me is a few years ago i bought i new P3 600 rig, ran 3DMARK2000 and got 3400. I was well chuffed. But my friend next door a week later got a P3 733 and ahived 4500 with the same graphics card. AHHHHHH .
    So off came the case and out came the pencil to change the multiplyer and hey presto 800MHZ incrase my 3DMark score to 4800. Least to say he was P****D off as he paid £290 more for his rig.
    So next morning i came home having left the pc on and it was turned off. ODD??? pressed power. Nothing just the fan turned... So i took it to the shop i got it from and he told me that the cpu had burnt the motherboard. He knew i had overclocked it and therfor i got no refund ALL THAT MONEY. I sweared that day no more "uneccasarry overlcoking".

I understand with the correct knowledge overclocking is as safe as anything. I knew all about cpu temperqatures at the time but for some reason my brain was too involved in getting a better 3Dmark score than him.

But my overclocking was uneccessary as my pc was fast as a jet at the time and putting the cou at 800 would have made little difference to what i would have used it for.

Im not against overclocking but i try to warn people when i can. Becasue i dont want them to go down the path that i went down....

Stay Safe

Richard

true.

I can agree if you had a bad experience with overclocking that you dont like it anymore. If I burnt my brand new CPU and motherboard because I was not prepared to take the risk of losing it then I would also probabaly refane from OC for a while at least. But for me it's a drug. If My cpu were to burn up right now I would be mad but it wouldnt be to bad, I mean it was my falt for overclocking it and I am ready to take that risk for a few 100 more mhz.

Before overclocking

You must fully understand the risks and danger involved in overclocking your PC in anyway shape or form.

(my disclamer for the day)

My current system is an Atlon XP 1800+, and it's not overclocked. I don't have any real reason to. I could probably get it up to about 1700MHz but that wouldn't be enough to make it worth the effort. I used the mobo maker's utility to crank the FSB briefly and it ran fine at around 1600 MHz but I didn't feel any real urge to push it.

My previous system was a Celeron 300A overclocked to 450MHz. That was overclocked because there wasn't any real reason not to. Some CPUs, the old Celeron 300A and the new P4 1.6A are made for overclocking; others, like my Athlon XP aren't.

Others may find the Athlon XP worth overclocking, I just don't think it's worth it to me given my current system set up.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Yeah the XP chips are real overclockers. Since there really isnt a huge range in MHZ from xp 1500+-xp 2100+ and the chip is already pushing the limits of the .18 micron core and such.

Personally, I see overclocking as a act of technical challenge and/or amusement...don't beleive that money has a [b]real[/] influence on it...

CLock it and Rockit. It saves you $$$ and gives great statisfaction.

Originally posted by tricktx
    I agree! Three years ago I bought a cheap K6-2+ 500 cpu and I'm happy with the speed. After few months, faster CPUs have plague the market but I can't afford it, so I overclocked it to 600Mhz with a $20 HSF. Until now, I'm still using it with most application softwares as well as 3d games.
    Don't let the bug bytes.

Wow this thread is a month old.

Ive grown afraid of overclocking with all the trouble ive had with building my computers. My current one runs at 200 mhz fsb even though its supposed to run at 266. Whenever I set the setting higher it boots one in 10 times and I have to reset the cmos again. I have 2100 ram and a 1.2 gig athalon that run at 1600 ram speed and 900 mhz becuase the bus wont go up . Is this what happens when you overclock? the system doesn't boot? Im afraid.... I can't even get the cpu I have now to its rated speed. Once this pc is so old I cant use it anymore I might take a sledgehammer to it, havent decided yet.

fluffycow- Does your board even support a 266(133)mhz bus?

Yeah, Iwill ka266 plus no raid
    generic 256md pc 2100 ram
    old hd and network card from other comp