Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: whats more important the cpu or the vid card?

Depends alot on the game to, some games all mostly graphics which are harder on the video card, personally I would rather have the CPU as the bottleneck then the Video card, that is if it can't be balanced.

Bottleneck

Not to mention look at harddrives.
    Last edited by gibsinep; 06-26-2002 at 11:12 PM.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Everytime you fix one bottle neck you will find another one

Why always look at what makes your system bottle neck.
    Look at what makes your sys good for once.

I had a similar dilemma to yours:

I had a decent chip but on a useless mobo with 756Mb PC133 RAM and a GeForce2 - which to upgrade first?!!

So I upgraded both . . .

I fit a GeForce4 Ti4400 to the old mobo first . . .a nice improvement but not that big a difference.

then I fit the new mobo which runs DDR333 and 256Mb of PC2700 memory . . .now that was a big difference !!

I wasnt expecting such a big improvement just from the mobo and memory change . . .even at standard speeds let alone when I overclock it (which the new board lets me do)
    take a look at some real hardware mods:

www.condoms.co.uk

Originally posted by grimfandango
    you got a good sys right now. Keep em for some time.
    I would agree with Grimfandango here. There's plenty of things coming down the pipe and when I look at your current system, it should play most (if not all) games fine. When I look to do a complete system upgrade, I look to at least double my processing speed as a general rule. So I'll be looking at 2GHz processors next which Intel has already hit. Unfortunately, AMD has not officially hit that number yet, though you could possibly overclock a Tbred to that speed with some hardcore cooling.

If you really have that upgrade itch, give it a scratch and buy some extra RAM for your current setup. Heck, get some quality RAM like Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, etc etc if you feel like it. Your rig is still good.

Oh yeah, to answer your original question, it really depends on what you value. If you're into benchmarking, you'd be amazed at what a GeForce4Ti can do for your 3dMark scores and fps gaming. If you want overall improvement to your system, than upgrading the processor is the route to go.
    AMD Athlon 2500+ (oc'ed to 3200)
    Asus A7V600 motherboard
    1GB Kingston Hyper-X PC3200 memory
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/128MB oc'ed

I went from and T-Bird over to a XP and DDR (had sdram before) and I am loving it. Aye I would go for the CPU and it would be cheaper than the New Video card
    Chris Stafford