Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: System wont Boot

System wont Boot

I'm trying to put together the following System and after putting it all together It wont Boot.

AK77- KT333 Mother Board AOpen
    Antlon 1700+ Chip
    256M DDR PC2700 Samsung Memory
    Abit GF2 T400 Video Card(AGP)
    Award Bios 1.00 Ver

When the system is turned I get a long beep and it's repeated every 3 or 4 seconds. I have no Video (I tested the Monitor on another System and it works), and all the fans work, and there is power to the Board (Led light). I switched another Memory DDR 2100 Chip and another Video Card (both AGP and PCI) from another working Box and they didn't change the problem. I've also cleared the Bios, removed all the Cards and Cables, reseated the Memory on several occasions, but still no change. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

leart3

hi their, this may help!
    http://www.hummel-it.de/TECINFO.TXT

ward

sorry leart3, I dont know what that was.

i thought i sent a link for bios beep error codes.

I wiil go have another look and see what i did wrong.

ward.

Ward

That Link appears to be AMI Bios Beep Codes. The Long Beep for Award Bios is Video or Dram, but I have eliminated that problem since I have determined the Monitor to be good and I switched a DDR Memory Chip from a good working set and ended up with the same problem. thanks anyway.

leart3

Did you make sure that all the standoffs under the board were correct? Sometimes there may be an extra standoff and the board will ground out on it. Make sure a screw or something didn't fall behind the board either. I've seen blown boards because of rogue screws shorting out the board.

Test it outside the case ( on a piece of cardboard works), with only the cpu w/HSF , 1 stick ram (good ram), video card (reseated firmly),and P/S ( 300w+) . This will eliminate any grounds, which could be the cause. Recheck the jumper settings and powerup. It should POST and allow you to enter Bios setup. If it boots then it was a case ground . If not then its ram. Either the slot is bad or the mobo and ram are not compatible or your not using enough force to seat the ram. IMHO.

that beep commonly means there is a ram problem

try using a different stick, if it boots and u still get problems try adjusting the nanoseconds in the bios.

cheers,
    Junkie

Originally posted by Midknyte
    Did you make sure that all the standoffs under the board were correct? Sometimes there may be an extra standoff and the board will ground out on it. Make sure a screw or something didn't fall behind the board either. I've seen blown boards because of rogue screws shorting out the board.
    I've removed the Board several times but there was nothing I observed there. I've also reinstalled all attachments several times also.

leart3

Originally posted by junkie
    that beep commonly means there is a ram problem

try using a different stick, if it boots and u still get problems try adjusting the nanoseconds in the bios.

cheers,
    Junkie
    I've tried another Stick already, but nothing changes. Since the System wont Boot, I can't hit "del" and go to the Bios. Even though the Fans work, and there is Power to the Board, the Computer wont Start, so I don't have no Video or Bios Scan, so I can't get to the Bios.

leart3

Originally posted by Rocketmech
    Test it outside the case ( on a piece of cardboard works), with only the cpu w/HSF , 1 stick ram (good ram), video card (reseated firmly),and P/S ( 300w+) . This will eliminate any grounds, which could be the cause. Recheck the jumper settings and powerup. It should POST and allow you to enter Bios setup. If it boots then it was a case ground . If not then its ram. Either the slot is bad or the mobo and ram are not compatible or your not using enough force to seat the ram. IMHO.
    I'll try removing the Board from the Case, but I've changed the Mem Stick to one I know is working, and the same with the Video Card(APG's). I have another Antlon Chip (1600+) that I'll try in a few minutes also, and that would eliminate everything external to the board as the problem. As far as jumpers are concerned, I didn't make any changes, but what jumber settings would keep the Board from Booting?

leart3

Originally posted by Rocketmech

Rocket:

I took it outside the case, reinstalled the APG (I've also tried the PCI Video Card in the past) Card, installed one Stick of 256M DDR PC2700, Chip w/heatsink & Fan. No change, one long beep that's repeated every 3 or 4 seconds. The Led light indicating Power to the Board still works, and the MB, CPU, and PS Fans still work also. I also changed the CPU, but still no change. It seems as if the problem is in the Board, and more than likely in the Dram Slot.

leart3

leart3
    Last edited by leart3; 06-18-2002 at 03:33 PM.

Some crazy ideas

you can try boot without the battery

unplug your power switch and reset wires.

don't hook up any drives until you get the video.

Or boot without the monitor but hook up your floppy see if the lite would come on.

Bluemoon:

I've already cleared the Bios (which the battery would do), and i've removed all the drives, but I haven't tried to boot without the Monitor since I would have no way of seeing what the system did. I would like to know if you have info on how a layman (Non tech without test eqpt) could test the Memory Slot other than inserting a new stick you know to be good (i've done that). I don't know for sure but if there is no memory reading on boot-up, all other parts of the System (Video, Bios, Drives, etc. would not work either. I think that memory is one of a few things that can effect or prevent many parts of the System from starting, and from what i've been able to check that's where my problem is, and I still get the long Beep whether I have a stick in the Slot or not.

leart3

Sorry pal,I am just another layman and therefore do not know a simple method of testing the slots.

It is normal to get long beeps without any mem sticks in the slot.Whether a weird bios/chipsets will do the same or not I don't know.Other trouble is the beep codes if there are indeed repeating single long beep or three long beeps etc.?

Assuming it is a repeating single long beep and you have already tried a different sticks of mem then may be you have wrong type of ram stick or the mobo is nfg????

Edit:Is there a jumper in the mb to let you select the dram type?
    Last edited by bluemoon; 06-19-2002 at 03:40 PM.