Thread: kmode exception not handled ???

kmode exception not handled ???

upon loading win 2000 my computer drops out with the note "stop..kmode exception not handled..addressbfa92deo base at bfa83000 date stamp 3ac4ddb5-tcpip-
    beginning dump of physical memory..memory dump complete

Im stumped

Have you added new hardware? If so, I would free up some IRQs by going into BIOS setup and disabling one or both COM/Serial ports. Then you should Reset Configuration Data / ESCD.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I think I have the OS installed now I got to the final steps where it was to restart and when it restarts and begins to load I get a blue screen saying " stop inaccessible boot device,check for viruses on your computer remove any newly installed hard drives or drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminatted. run CHKDSK /F to check for corruption and then restart"
    Ive been looking around online for the answer but im getting nada

thx

Is the hard drive on a UDMA or RAID controller?
    MS MCP, MCSE

no its not on the raid controler I have it in the primary IDE slot 1 alone as the master and RAID is disabled..im reading the manual I just downloaded it says "support all standard ATA data modes with PIO mode 4 and multi word DMA mode 2, and ultra DMA modes 0-5"

I have the cylyndrs set to 1024 and Im reading this right now

"Older BIOS that only support Int 13 commands for accessing ATA drives through DOS based operating systems will be limited to use only 1024 cylynders. this will reduce the effective capacity of the drive to 528Mbytes"

does it sound as through Im on the right track ?

one thing I did try was this..my ULTRA DMA mode was set to 6 so I set it to 5 according to the note above but I got anotjher blue screen STOP message telling me to chech that I have adequit disk space , which leads me to beleive the cylynders are wrong

how am i doin ?

I think you're looking into the HDD thing a little too deeply. Auto-detect should pick it up and install it fine.

I would suggest that you *do* put the hard drives on the RAID controller and run XP repair (boot from CD). Just be sure that you press F6 at the beginning of text-mode setup and have the drivers for the RAID controller ready on floppy.

The system will work better this way. HDDs on RAID and CDROMs on IDE. Just don't create an array.
    MS MCP, MCSE

yes I did have it on auto but one thing im concerned with is the cylynder note I mentioned where it says if it is set to 1024 the effective capacity will be limited.......in the manual under "logical addressing format" it reads as this

MANUAL.................................... MY SETTING
    logical cylinders 16,383............ cylinders 1024
    logical heads 16....................... heads 255
    logical sectors 63 .................... sector 23

does this look ok ? should I start looking elsewhere ?

thx again for the time
    Last edited by kook; 06-09-2002 at 02:22 PM.

well apparently the cylynders are locked at 1024 so I guess thats not it

thx