Thread: Linux info

Linux info

I just got a Pentium 233 laptop with 32Mb of Ram, and its pretty much worthless. However, I was thinking that I could install Linux on it, and use it for some basic tasks like listening to mp3s in my car, getting online (with a NIC and modem) and typing the occaisional document away from home. Where can I get a basic distribution of linux that would allow me to do all of the above, and still run well on this slow computer? Thanks for any help!!

Oh yes, I guess I should mention that I have never really used linux, and I dont really have any experience installing it. I tried to install it on my old computer once, but I was so used to Windows that I got rid of it after like a week.

MS MCP, MCSE

I honestly wouldn't suggest Mandrake for such a small laptop. I love Mandrake, but their default install option puts too much stuff on there, including the GUI with all Window managers, etc. I would suggest Red Hat, Slackware, or Debian. In the experiences I've had those are the best at installing true minimal options.
    Never underestimate a Penguin...

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.3/en/iso/i386/

If you get put out, go here:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/

Log in as anonymous and your email address as a password. Navigate to the folder above and download the 7.3 ISOs.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Maybe you'd be best at just throwing Win98 on there. Do a minimal install, grab Ultraplayer, and go. My linux choice would be RedHat or SlackWare but I'd just run text based or a lightweight window manager (no KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment). From X (yer GUI) I'd use XMMS and find an old joypad to use with the joystick plugin. Winders users would love this one. I can use either my USB joystick or my $2 Gravis gamepad to surf through my songs, change volume, and never have to look at the screen. Safe for driving!! Text mode I'd go with mp3blaster which allows you to run playlists. I don't believe mpg123 supports that.
    That's all.

Mr O