Thread: Drive Image creates huge defragmented file.

Drive Image creates huge defragmented file.

I'm using 'Drive Image' to create a copy of my primary C: drive onto a second hard drive partition. I also do a standard Windows XP back-up onto the same partition. Fine everything works great. However I end up with huge files 2- 3 Gbs each, which are always indicated as in need of defragmenting following creation.

I back up weekly and old back-up files are replaced with new.

Do I need to bother about defrag-ing. There is nothing in this partition other than these back-up files.Defrag-ing struggles with these large files and takes an age.

Advice/Reassurance appreciated.

I dont see that as a problem. I have a Drive Image image of my C-drive which is two files that show up "RED" during disk defragmentation. The reimaging always work though. I always uses high compression when creating the images.
    Last edited by muchmark; 05-12-2002 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks MuchMark,

Thats just what I wanted to hear!!

Dinger

You may want to invest in a defragger that can be configured to exclude files. Norton Speed Disk (included in Systemworks) and Executive Software Diskeeper can both do this.
    MS MCP, MCSE

There shouldn’t be a problem defragging a DI image especially if you are using a top-flight defragger such as Diskeeper and Speed Disk. I use both on a DI image. I defrag my DI images whenever I create one but only after a reboot and scandisk.

G

I use Power Defragger. It hunts and pecks about my DI images. But the images still work.