Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 85 or 100 refresh rate?

Hi.
    it is at 1024*768. You are right, this is the "best" viewsonic monitor available and will handle 195Hz at 1024*768. I aint to bothered, it could be my g'card (Herc Prophet 4500) and the display is extremely crisp at 120Hz. **** I love this monitor.

Stefan
    Stefan

Trinitrons are better.
    Abit IC7 (1.3 BIOS) - P4 2.6C, Swiftech MCX-4000 92mm Panaflo - 2 x 512mb XMS3500c PT - Leadtek GF3 Ti500 <- - Audigy 2- WIN-TV PVR - Sony Dru500a DVD-RW - Lite-On 52X CD-RW - 250 ZIP - 5 x WD 120GB SE - Maxtor 120GB & WD 100GB via FireWire - Enermax 465 - Klipsch 5.1 Ultra - 19" Trinitron

I haven't used sony tube, but I have used cheap iiyama, and this is most certainly one of the best monitors I have seem and used.

But then each their own, I mean it is obvious you are wrong (and just to qualify, hence destroy the joke, that is a joke)

Stefan
    Stefan

Only two manufacturers make tubes with Trinitron technology - Sony, with the FD Trinitron, and Mitsubishi, with the DiamondTron. The PerfectFlat P95F by ViewSonic is actually an adaptation of the latter. The main difference between the two is that Sony uses three electron guns for the three basic RGB colors and Mitsubishi only uses one.

I have a TRUE Trinitron.

(Just the facts followed by more joking.)
    Abit IC7 (1.3 BIOS) - P4 2.6C, Swiftech MCX-4000 92mm Panaflo - 2 x 512mb XMS3500c PT - Leadtek GF3 Ti500 <- - Audigy 2- WIN-TV PVR - Sony Dru500a DVD-RW - Lite-On 52X CD-RW - 250 ZIP - 5 x WD 120GB SE - Maxtor 120GB & WD 100GB via FireWire - Enermax 465 - Klipsch 5.1 Ultra - 19" Trinitron

*huggles his 17" Sony Trinitron G220*
    Michael
    AKA: HoldenFreak

Originally posted by Picard

Don't matter if it is spec or not, higher refresh rates will shorten monitor life. Simple physics.
    Same argument would apply to fridges, making it colder shortens the life span of the appliance. I wouldn't turn up the temperature in my fridge or turn down the refresh rate of my monitor based on that argument.

Excerpt from PC Mechanic... The standard for flicker free images has been set to 85Hz. Nevertheless, most viewers won't detect flicker as low as 72 Hz. The best test to detect flicker is to look slightly above or to the side of the monitor. Your peripheral vision is more sensitive to the flicker, therefore you have a better chance of seeing it. Sometimes, it helps to be in a darker room.

Ultimate Member
    Studies have shown that reading speed, eye strain and general fatigue get WORSE above 90 Hz for the vast majority of people. The jury is still out on why this is, but the symptoms are there.

Stick with 85.

regards, Peter

I have stigmatizm, forsightness, nearsightness all three.
    I cannot do the retna mods, for they can't fix all these things.
    I have been told that even with the mods.
    I would have to wear glasses for reading or driving.
    So I will just stay with the glasses I have.
    This is why I never go over 85hz, the monitor will go as high as 100, but it does hurt my eyes at that point.
    85 looks good and plays good, don't hurt my eyes.
    My eyes are about the only part of my bod that has not been modified. HaHa.

Personally i use 75 on a 17in monitor, 60 on a 15in and 85 on a 19, but it depends on the size of the monitor and what you eyes prefer.

Studies have shown that reading speed, eye strain and general fatigue get WORSE above 90 Hz for the vast majority of people. The jury is still out on why this is, but the symptoms are there.
    That's interesting. Peter, can you provide a link to this info? I'd like to read more about it.

Ultimate Member
    Oh, that was some written essay that came out like ten years ago, when refresh rate mania broke out. Sorry, that was pre-Internet, so no link (and I don't have it either )

regards, Peter

*huggles his 17" Sony Trinitron G220
    Just pray it wont break down cause Sony support is terrible. The reason I went all Iiyama for myself and customers was their on site 3yr support on top of their great monitors.

Sony went as far as asking to post the monitors back with extreme postage costs, and then wait for months to repair. Iiyama comes next day, collects old monitor and sets up new (new! not repaired).

Just my 2c on brands.

As for refresh rates, 85Hz is the ideal. So for the size of each monitor use the resolution that supports 85Hz, not lower.

Even though your monitor can do over 85 at some resolutions, I fail to see the point in doing so. At 75Hz, I can still see slight flickering, but at 85 it goes away. Running way high refreshes will shorten the life of the monitor, and if all the flickering goes away at 85Hz.... But also if you're running at a high res and a high refresh rate (say 1280x1024@100Hz) the sharpness sometimes goes down a little because it's running so fast near it's max resolution. I remember I had some monitor once where if I ran 1024x768@85, and then lowered it to 75, the screen looked sharper and crisper. Maybe it was just a cheap monitor though.

HTH

Ruahrc

NB: TFT screen are different - 60Hz / 75Hz is std for therse and will NOT damage your eyes.

For CRT screens (normal monitors): find out what the spec is on the monitor - some monitors will allow you to run much higher than spec refresh rates... but you lose clarity / damage the monitor.

I find that most people don't notice any flicker at 75Hz, however some people get headaches or sore eyes (myself included) at anything under 85Hz.

Things that make flicker more noticeable: working with multiple screens - I assume there is a "rods and cones" biology explanation or simialr, but when you're not looking directly at the screen, you notice a flicker more.

Slightly linked to this: it depends on the size of the screen - larger screen, especially if you're sitting <1 metre away tend to have a more viisble flicker. For example on a decent quality 17" screen a can just about notice a flicker @75Hz, on 19" screen it is very noticable and on a 21" screen it is unbearable.

I use a EIZO T960 21" Tension Mask screen. It handles 1600x1200@90+Hz, but I find that I prefer 1280x1024@100Hz (think it'll do 120Hz and above, but this resolution and refresh is the most comfortable).

BTW - if you're in the EU, and they're giving you computers running at <73Hz refresh rate, it is against HSE legislation and illlegal.