Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: win Xp pro or Win 2000pro

Corporate = no activation

Retail = activation
    MS MCP, MCSE

Did I mention I hate XP?

WIN2K all the way!!!!!! (at least until Sp1 or 2)
    Life is a bowl of cherries

BipolarBill is correct - WinXP Pro Corporate Edition (the one I have from the same M$ guy ) doesn't require activation. BTW, where did you get yours, nadine ?! Corporate Editions are not for sale for personal use as far as I know

Alnath : Mr. Sparkle said it well, "just things that make me go "Hmmmm...". Home Edition finally pissed me off when I couldn't open SFX RAR archive (16-bit code error ). And it's not just this ... Professional Edition is more stable, more compatible, and of coz "Professional" sounds better

But again, to not start flame war - that's IMHO, totally subjective

Originally posted by Strawbs
    Alnath says:

M$ has used underhand tactics to meet it's own ends in the past, and I for one have no doubt they will again, as soon as people believe that Activation isn't a problem, and so encourage others to buy XP without worry of it, we all become vulnerable to accept anything M$ wishes to dish up.
    My Original quote stated that Product Activation "CAN" be a bummer. I stand by that statement.

I have infact installed XP Home and Pro on a few friends systems (thier own copies, not mine), and after warning them about future upgrades, Activated the products for some of them, non of these people have upgraded as yet, if they do, I will probably be the one that performs those upgrades.
    M$ didn't go to the trouble\cost of developing and having us accept Activation, without the intention to use it. it will be used when the take up of XP is more widespread. But then you being so "suss" of M$, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know!
    Why are you so worried about WPA, it's here to stay so get over it. Like you said yourself you have yet to perform any upgrades so why did you say i would encounter problems when you have not even tried it yourself? Isnt the fact that MP8 is constantly trying to phone home irrespective of the XP version more worrying to you or the fact that if you remove messenger it is recomended as a critical update under a different name and simply reinstalled? WPA is not the problem its the rest of the M$ garbage in XP that is. M$ has also built in a way to disable via windows updates any copys it deems illegal, they have not used it yet cos if it goes belly up they are going to look like right bellends, but *shudder* the thought if they used it and everyones 100% legal corp edition was wiped out after all every home user has the need for a volume licenced OS dont they?

I have a magazine article (somewhere) that tested activation, to find out how easy it was to trigger, they found that certain hardware combination changes would trigger it, and certain single hardware changes would also trigger it (NIC, new Primary hard drive ... etc.).

I believe that everyone that is thinking about buying XP should have the opportunity to decide if activation is for them or not, is that so wrong? if so! why is it wrong? Activation CAN be a BUMMER!!! It's not a worry for me, but it could be for the unaware. this forum is about information exchange. but maybe I should just shut up for M$'s sake, ...not!

As for wmp and messenger, they've been trying to phone home and keylogging for over a year now, as does R-player, and numerous other second and third party software, some people know this, others don't. people ask questions so they can make informed choices. Activation is, IMHO, something they should know about XP. Why keep it a secret?

Bang on, Strawbs.

Strawbs hammers on Win2K in one post and XP in another. I guess he's moving to Linux soon?

Why am I the one taking Lithium?
    MS MCP, MCSE

I don't like XP Home's featureset, partly because we have a home network and there are times I want easy access to protocols other than TCP/IP.

As to the activation issue my own problem in that is based on our computing situation at home. We have 5 computers up and on the LAN right now, and we do a lot of trickle down upgrades. We get new hardware for one person and the old hardware trickles down to the next person and so on, right the way to the kids systems. This might not be as big an issue except that we change out NICs fairly often. One of our computers is really persnickety with regard to NICs and seems to want a different one every time we move it around, so we end up flipping NICs through the systems regularly.

The problem here is that the NIC is one of the most crucial components for WPA. I understand why, it's the only component with a fixed permanent ID code hardwired into it. You can disable the old Intel Processor ID, but not a NIC's MAC Address.

I'm not saying it's good, bad, necessary, or unnecessary; but merely that given my personal computing situation it adds more complications than perhaps were intended.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

I would love to move to linux Bill, but I work from home a lot and too much of my business software is M$ reliant , so, for now at least, this is a necessary evil for me, also (admittedly :o ) it would be hard to swap away from such a good basic package... a rock and a hard place! that's what this is

I'm sure you'll get XP sorted out and be happy with it one day, Strawbs.

I have had to use WPA and call MS 3 times. They never gave me a problem. Although having to call them was an inconvenience at the time, in retrospect it wasn't bad at all. I'd rather not have to do it, but I must. I can accept this as a minor price for the stability and features of XP.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I guess my problem isn't so much with the OS's, more with M$ tactics, maybe I should become president of a small country and... (who said Megalomaniac) yeah! I think I'll do just that.

Now ..where did I put that book on becoming a top politician?

Take some of my medicine. There...good boy.
    MS MCP, MCSE

i prefer win2k. more stable with service pack 2, and it currently has better security than winXP.

also, check here for some more thoughts on the subject.
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article10-001

I still think Xp's cr*p. X is an unknown and Pee well is well how I would describe this latest swindle from gatsey.

Don't sugar-coat it, Ammok. What do you really think?
    MS MCP, MCSE