dcsimg

Thread: Sound Card Problem in XP

Computer Freeze ...Help!

I have an ASUS A7V running an Athlon 1.33 Ghz, 512 MB PC133 Crucial RAM , ATI All-In Wonder 128 Pro 32 MB, Turtle Beach Aureal 8820 Sound CArd.

The problem is the PC works perfectly until I start to play MP3's or use the sound card or any length of time for that matter, no matter what program I use to play them. It goes ok but after about 20 -3 0 mins the entire PC just freezes..no response..hjave to reboot. Funny thing is XP doesnt give the usual "Didnt shut down properly" error on restart..just goes straight through. This doesnt happen performing any other function. Sometimes when gaming the sound just goes as well..and I have to reboot to get it back..

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem ...I should add that the sound card is in a shared IRQ slot...could that be it?

Just thought I should mention that I "appropriated" the card from an old Dell...and Turtle Beach specifically disclaims all responsibilty for those cards...think Dell souped it up or something?

Any help would be most appreciated..I just bought some lovely new surround sound speakers and it hurts not to be able to use em

Thanks in advance

Acapella_bb
    Last edited by acapella_bb; 04-24-2002 at 11:26 AM.

the sound card is in a shared IRQ slot...could that be it?
    Yup...could be. Try moving the card and try changing the OS setting in the PCI/PnP section of BOS setup.
    from an old Dell...and Turtle Beach specifically disclaims all responsibilty for those cards...think Dell souped it up or something?
    I seem to recall some issues with Dell audio cards based on the Aureal. Unfortunately, I can't find anything on those issues now.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I figured...

I never did like Dell...

Im going to swap it out and try with a firends SB MP3+ ..if that works Im going to replace it for good...I guess thats what you get for trying to scrimp ..

Acapella

It just keeps getting better and better

Ok so I took out the turtle beach and stuck in the SB Live..problem solved right?..if only.

When I stuck it in it recognised it and installed in and all seemed well..so I went and installed my wireless keyboard and mouse software from Logitech (certified for XP)..on reboot the PC froze.

On further investigation I discovered that it also installed a "network card"..(I dont have one), and other network devices and changed my modem to some brand that it definitely is not.. ..

I downloaded the latest drivers from Creative..but I cant install them..they wont go in in safe mode..and the PC wont start normally...

Any ideas why a NIC and modem suddenly appeared on my system??

When I try to remove the network components XP says I cant because it "might be needed for system startup".

Any one ever experienced a clash between Logitech software and Creative drivers???

Would appreciate any assistance at all ... the hammer is looking quite tempting right now

I did system checkpoints at each stage of the setup so I can back it out to a working point..would just appreciate some pointers on how to proceed from there..

Thanks
    Acapella_bb

I would update my BIOS and run the "Repair" process.

http://www.gateway.com/support/produ...50959411.shtml

Unplug all external peripherals beforehand.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Problem Solved

Well I restored the system to its pre Logitech and sound card state..updated the bios to 1010a and re-installed the sound card (SB Live) ..minus Logitech software..works perfectly now...

Thanks for all the help
    Acapella