Thread: Sound damping using mouse pads???

Sound damping using mouse pads???

I found this article a couple days ago and finnaly found some time to post a message about it. It is fairly old (9/10/01), but still very interesting. Has anyone ever tried using mouse pads to dampen the sound the PC makes? It seems like a very cheap alternative to buying the dynamat or akasa damping kits. The article also talks about using a duct to bring in cooler outside air, but I was more insterested in the spare mouse pad idea.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips635/

Hey I just did this yesterday!

I read the same article, thought "No way", picked up a couple of mouse pads and rested them in front of my desktop pc here at work..... No more noise. Then I went on a mouse pad hunt!

I inspected my case and decided to just line the inside walls of the case with mouse mats. In my geeky quest for my mouse mats I found 2 types - one kinda light and spongy the other generally thicker, heavier and more rubbery. I reckon these are best, as they'll deaden the sound more.

I stuck all the pads in the case with thick tape, and i'm sure it's cut down the noise loads, as there's now no noise at all coming from the sides of the case.

The problem though is still the air vents at the back (I have 2 - one for the PSU and 1 extractor fan). These make a proper racket so I'm gonna have a play at shuttin em up tonight. I reckon making some kind of "deflector" out of mouse pads should do the trick. I'll let you know how i get on.

Rick

Just like an old 67' Chevelle...

I like a throaty XP 1600+ with 13 fans

Thanks for the post cusimar9. It may be better then this I was considering :

I was only looking at the EMBOSSED FOAM
    http://www.800nonoise.com/foam.htm

I was actually looking at car sound deadening materials, because here they're very easy to get hold of and I imagine they do the same sort of thing. However they wanted extortionate amounts of money for it - and seeing as the mouse mats were free, and seemed to work pretty well, I opted for those instead.

It doesn't take long either - once you've dismantled the case (yeah - you gotta take EVERYTHING out) it only takes about an hour. And since it's only tape you're sticking it down with if you don't like the results, pull it all out and get yourself some hexpensive sound deadening stuff (and let me know if you notice any difference!)

DO bear this in mind though: Most of the noise seems to come from the back of the case, so pay careful consideration to how you're going to tackle that - and again, let me know what you come up with.

Good luck

Well there i this stuff called Dynomat.

It is used in insulate trunks so your trunk doesnt rattle when you have subwoofers.

It works GREAT! Kinda pricy though, but def worth the money, and it looks cool too.

Go check that out, Im on the east coast and its pretty popular over here!

Mouse pads are also useful for replacing the plastic "feet" of the computer case, helping to reduce the vibration transmitted to the underlying platform (floor, desk, whatever).

LOL, Are you kidding me. Thanks for the help......... 4 years later.

ahh... very intersting...

and yes it will work

back in the good old days of the 80s
    we used to decorate the Room in the house with Egg cartons (cheaper than foam) and then BLAST our Stereos to the MAX
    and it worked.

so the logic is the same

too bad my current case is a Acrylic one, else i'll do it to my case as well to quiet it down a bit
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5