Thread: AMD XP 1700 & Asus multiplier settings

AMD XP 1700 & Asus multiplier settings

Hi i'm new here and dunno much about setting pc's up.. But i built my own for the second time and i am having probs with a couple of things.

I have just upgraded my pc here's what i have.

ASUS A7A 133 Motherboard
    AMD XP 1700

1st Question. What is the multiplier set at (i.e. 12x, 13x)..? as it don't say anywhere in the manuals.

2nd Question. What is the actual speed...? I know it says 1700XP but i have been told it's 1496mhz and thats what is showing up on my PC.. It says it's an AMD 1700 XP running at 1496mhz on the AMD cpu software check.

I don't understand this as i thought it would run @ 1700 mhz.
    But i got told it's as fast as 1700 mhz thats why it's an XP.

I'm just totaly confused and don't know whether my multiplier is set up right or if it's right to say 1496 mhz.?

I've looked on the AMD site and can't seem to find much about it, and i also checked the ASUS site and it don't say much there either..?

I know the Processor runs on a 266 mhz motherboard and my ASUS manual says it's a 266mhz motherboard. But i'm sure it's only a 133 board..?

Just 1 more question if anyone knows.. in the Asus Probe software that comes with the motherboard it checks and detects all you system and gives you info about each part.. Well i got this info from it..

External Clock 133 mhz
    Max Speed 1700 mhz
    Current Speed 1466 mhz

Talk about confusion so does that mean it can be Overclocked to that speed or it should be set to run at that speed..?

I DON'T want to overclock it but just have it running at what speed it should be run at.

Thanx for any help.
    Last edited by tonycrew; 04-23-2002 at 06:39 AM.

1700's are set at 11x normally i think.
    The 1800's are set at 11.5x and so on.

But, dude that mobo should auto-detect the CPU, and load all the default (most stable settings for it). It's a good quality mobo.

You can't change the multiplier settings unless you unlock the CPU.

See........ :P
    ''I like violence and boobs, therefore am mature''

Ok thanx i have set it back to Jumperless mode and the bios says 1496 mhz i just thought being a 1700 it ran @ 1700 mhz ..?

Yeah, the 1700+ are @ 1470....... but they have the power of the rival 1.7 Ghz CPU's

I love my Athlon XP
    ''I like violence and boobs, therefore am mature''

Ya my 1600+ is at 10.5x, the 1700+ 11x etc, etc.

Ok thanx for all your help at least i now have the correct settings.