Thread: FSB

FSB

On most newer mainboards, you can set the FSB to 100 like for the Duron and 133 for the SDRAM with no problem. I tried several boards like the KT7A Raid and MSI Turbo2 and they won't boot if the FSB is set to 133.

Becareful, most versions of the Abit KT7A/Raid won't accept XPs, only v1.3 will, but I heard some were able to run their XPs on v1.1 and 1.2 without any problems even if Abit doesn't support it. Myv1.2 Abit KT7 wouldn't even boot a Duron 1gig because of the an older bios

Did you know that F.S.B is an abriviature for Russian federal service like FBI!!

Intimate Member
    To setup a board to boot at 133 mhz fsb, it is my understanding that the processor has to be unlocked so that it will run at 133 mhz. Most AMD processors come locked, and I believe the bios on these boards will recognize that the cpu is locked, and will not allow the 133 settings to be available, or if its done by jumper, the system will not boot because the cpu is setup to run at a default of 100 mhz. If the cpu is then unlocked, the boards will run at 133 mhz fsb. I may be wrong, but unless something really new has come along, the RAM has always run at the same bus speed the CPU runs at. In otherwords, if the bus is set to 100 mhz, thats what the cpu runs at, and so does the ram...same with 133 fsb.

Thats interesting about your KT7 Abit board not running a 1 gig Duron. I remember reading of several guys overclocking Durons and Tbirds to 1 gig and over in late 2000 just as or just before the newer boards came out. Maybe they had upgraded the bios?.. Do you recall what was the max multiplier on that KT7?...that has my curosity up now...I don't think those guys were lying.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Do a search at google.com on unlocking a duron and you should find some pics on connecting the L1 bridges with a pencil, stick with the original bios for now, had better luck with original off the cuff than subsequent versions otherwise if you get a 1.4 chip then you'll need bios ver 3r to accept it.

One of the problems is simple.

If you have a 1Ghz Duron and try to up the FSB to 133MHz then the chip will run at 1.33Ghz. Most 1GHz Duron's cannot run that fast. If the motherboard does support 133 FSB then it will run any 133 FSB (266 DDR) AMD processors it supports in BIOS whether locked or unlocked. I wish my Athlon XP had had to be unlocked to run at its native 133MHz FSB.

The reason some AMD processors need to be unlocked to run at 133 FSB is that you have to drop the multiplier in conjunction in order to keep the processor frequency in the range your chip can stand.

Some motherboards have an even sneakier problem. Most of these are ones that use a jumper to configure your FSB settings, and then set the multiplier in BIOS. What happens is if you try to put an unlocked 1GHz chip in, and boot it at 133 FSB it first starts to POST at 1.33GHz, and then after loading the BIOS drops down to 1GHz. ((Note this happens when changing a 1GHz chip from 10x100 FSB to 7.5x133 FSB)). In these cases if your chip can't run at 1.33GHz for at least a brief period you are out of luck.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].