Thread: IBM hands over HDD biz to Hitachi

IBM hands over HDD biz to Hitachi

Why oh why?

IBM makes the best hard drives! I have ONLY bought IBM drives because they are rock solid and oh so reliable. I have gladly paid the extra money for them. What is more important than data storage? LOL, I had a friend who accidentally dropped one from about 6 feet off the ground and it landed on its side. He hooked it up and tried to run it. It ran but with a nasty squeeling sound emitted from it. LOL, he took the drive and banged it on the ground on the opposite side that he dropped it on, plugged it back in and it was like it was new again. That happened almost 2 years ago it still runs in his server like a champ. Looks like I'll be buying Hitachi from now on. IBM, please don't make this mistake!!!

-Tom- <------ One upset college student

Had any experience with the 60GXP series, Tuclis? (let alone the 75GXP series) they are both a very uncool model of hd.

Junkie

i have two 40 GB IBM 60GXPs... both are working fine! Hopefully they will last...

haha, kewl man
    i aint that skeptical about the 60gxp's, but my 75gb 75gxp died 2 times. i now have a 120gxp and i agree with you, ibm can make some mad hardware if they do it properly

cheers
    Junkie

My impression was that IBM has wanted to get out of the "lucrative enterprise storage market" for some time now. perhaps that they finally found a way to do it with Hitachi. I think IBM wants to focus more on services vs. selling storage space. I could be wrong about that, I don't follow the company very closely.

I bet the disks will still be sold with the IBM name, at least at first.

Yes, I have 2 (count em) two 60 gxp's and love em. I have two other 10 and 20 gig Deskstars on my server. I heard the 75gxps had problems, but that was a recent development with IBM. If you look at their overall reliability, all I can say is hat's off to IBM. Their origional business was main-frames, so I would think that would say something for the quality of HD they would have had to produce.

-Tuclis-

haha apparantly not.

And from talking to a teacher at my colledge, IBM was so sucessful with their mainframes and terminals 20 years ago because they used to install the systems, run fantsy looking benchmarks to impress the company, then the machines were basically useless because the software at the time was so flawed.

I see a crazy irony with their GXP series of HD's.
    and from my own experiences the 75gxp series of hd's are the poorest series of hd i have ever worked with.

IBM is doing themselves and their customers a favor is doing away with their HD section.

cheers,
    Junkie

75GXP victim here

I use to think IBM was good. That's why i used IBM in my new system and two other i had recently assembled.

My hard disk has started showing "cluster errors" and i have random data loss. i HATE IBM. I wish the **** loosers would give me my money back (i bougth it when 75GXP came out... so it was Costly) and take their POS from me. Instead the sissies are running away.

this is all well and good Ive been hearing peeps complain about their drives giving them only months of service
    But I hate to see another american venture go outside our shores
    "When in doubt I whip it out" Ted Nugent

I have a 75GXP its run for nearly a year without a hicup, best drive i have ever owned. it was only the 40 odd GB 75GXP that had problems, shame people dont realise that and slag the whole series off. Drives break down simple as that.

I personally own a 40GB 60GXP, but for only a few months, so I can only say that so far it works fine.

My *personal* (i wish) storage at work is a $400,000USD IBM Shark storage system with the capacity to house >14.4terabytes of information, this attached to my *personal* IBM 9672 & s/390 mainframes. I work closely with the IBM techs and must say that they are truly one great company. It's unfortunate that they did manage to lose customer opinion with the flawed 75GXP (I didn't know that it was only the 40odd gig drives). But I'll tell you one thing -- IBM is THE leader in IT. Of all the companies who posted poor earnings the last quarter of '01, IBM at least posted positive earnings, no thanks to our struggling economy. They have a wonderful place in the IT industry. Perhaps they're focusing on high end computing, and leaving the PC parts to everyone else. It seems they left the consumer oriented PC industry about 4 years ago after they failed to make any money with their Aptiva series. Hopefully they'll still make superior & highly expensive systems aimed at big businesses for years to come.

My last harddrive was a Western Digital that I had *zero* problems with. After hearing about the 75GXP I was leary to move to an IBM harddrive from WD, but hopefully for me(and you who own one) my new IBM harddrive will run flawlessly for as long as I own it.
    chau,
    Beeble Quix
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Have used strictly IBM & WD after being burned on every Fujitsu I touched. Some people love em. Not me. 2 of the 40GB IBMs have worked fine , 2 60's with 1 burp and 2 of the 75's that bit the big one. WD has been better over all but the 40GB IBM is my mainstay in everyday business.

hitachi

seems all the reveiw places love IBM hardware except the current 75gb GXP's.
    However Hitachi has been around a long time, has made many quality parts for another fourletter japanese electronic giant who put on their own name and jacked the price.
    I bet they'll do a great job, and will benefit from the IBM input