Thread: I like to Thank

I like to Thank

This might be in the wrong fourm, if it is mods. please move it.

I don't know this person's nick just his first name. Conrad.. He must had been reading some back posts and came across one of mine where I was telling about what I do with older machines. Conrad PM me and got my addy and sent me a P-75 and a P-90. the board, memory, cables, everything but a case. He also sent a box of older used parts he collected from his friends. I want evrybody to know what a great guy he is. Thank you very much Conrade.. he paid for the shipping, { which was alot on two heavy boxes btw } and give me the componts free. the P-90 has a nice home to young fellow now. this child is happy as all get out.

This is What I do is take old unwanted machines, scope them out get them up running and give them away to the low income/welfare folks. I am very low keyed, it's kinda my hobby you could say. I don't ask for free stuff form the boards , , I buy 99% of the replacement parts and software I need out of my pocket.. the other 1% is from the machine's I do sell is to help buy componts also. I buy from the boards. and other online places. I don't make or accept anything for the systems. my reward is seeing a smilng childs face when they find out hey now have their very own computer. and no one is comming to take it back because mom and/or dad can't make payments on it. Why take something and just toss it away? if it's somewhat outdated? even a P-90 makes a good first learning computer. we all learned somewhere right? I didn't start out with what I got now, I started with a Sinclair ZX80. I've have and still do climb into dumpsters to retrive a machine some collage kid or someone eles had decided to throw away. 90% of the time the machines boots right up and are fine.

Conard... Thanks again to you and your friends so very much for all the parts. you all are one of a kind.

Madfish

Hey Madfish, your the one doing all the work and I thank you for that..
    (PS..think I found more stuff for you)
    Take care ____Conrad

Cool. The power of the internet

I might mail you my sister's old P 200 MMX after..........I don't know. I had a 80386 before, and just threw it out two month ago, and a P 100 too, oh, I forgot to save some of the components.

My sister has P 200 MMX and I have one AMD K6-500 and a P4 1.8
    P4 is currently running and AMD is laying quitely with its board and other stuff. hah~ I guess I just find some solution of what to do to those components.

Brilliant idea - could do with something like this over in the UK. I'm always scrabbling around trying to get funding for puters for special needs kids in my school but most get axed by corporations an' I don't live near enought o the city to link into some of the skip schemes they have there. More power to your elbow - Conrad.

Do you patch up laptops too?? (Madfish)
    Last edited by shark_megabyte; 04-19-2002 at 07:42 PM.
    -- Sharky
    Overclock Results: http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/overc/readfull.cgi?record=12574
    Currently using Inspiron 9100 and Latitude CPxj

Shark: I've done four. lol, they defferently a different beast to work on. what do you got in mind?

Madfish

Well Im waiting on some supplies to get my main system running again, but if that happens any time soon, then I would once again have no use for this old laptop that I got just because I was going on the road for 3 months last summer.

The LCD screen is all worn out now, it's got several wide vertical blurry lines going through it. I know the video hardware/sofware is ok though, because it outputs fine to my CRT monitor [posting from it now]. It has a bit of drift on the stickmouse which is missing its little blue thumb cushion.. and every once in a while the HD isnt detected on startup, but I think that's just a quirk because it's fine if you reboot without changing anything.

It's a Micron Transport XKE Pentium 233mmx with 64mb of ram, 3gig hd, cd-rom, floppy/battery go in a swap bay...usb, game port, modem, decent speakers, headphone out, IR, 2 pc card slots, power adapter, and the battery holds some charge but wont set any endurance records. you can run it on the battery for maybe an hour, perhaps longer if you turn the powersave settings all the way up.

Since its not really worth it to me to get the LCD fixed or replaced, i havent been sure what to do with it. If you wanted it to fix up or strip down for parts, and you were ok with paying to ship it, I could give it to you once I get my main system back...

If it wouldnt be worth it to you to get the system/components thats ok, I just thought I'd see if you could use it
    Last edited by shark_megabyte; 04-20-2002 at 10:58 PM.
    -- Sharky
    Overclock Results: http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/overc/readfull.cgi?record=12574
    Currently using Inspiron 9100 and Latitude CPxj

Shark: PM me and we can go over details.

Madfish