Thread: How fast is cable internet?

Ultimate Member

How fast is cable internet?

How fast does cable internet go?

and Which is more reliable, adsl or cable?

Dash800
    It all depends on cable brand and what cable modem you get. I have TCI@home with a comport21, and frankly, i hate it. It disconnects every day..., but when its working the speed is ok (lower than advertised), highest ive ever gotten is 150k. I have a feeling I have a bad modem. And this is with a 3com Officonnect 10/100 card, so i got quality NIC too.

I have TCI @home and a comport21 also . . . we disconnected consistently for a while but traced it to our hub. It wasn't handling the 10/100 dual speed correctly with "FULL DUPLEX" enabled! With out Linsys cards we were ablt to set it off Full Duplex and Viola no more disconnections. Our speed is ok too and is not as advertised also but I've heard they are going to be upgrading all the modems in the next few months since we are renting them through TCI. But compared to Dialup or ISDN I'm HIGHLY Satisfied now! Don't know much about ADSL though except that there is no shared bandwidth and no intranetworking to go through to get out to the internet like there is with Cable! But it's a **** load more expensive to install.

I have the MediaOne LanCity modem. I get around up to 250K/sec actual download rate from a few sites, and 350K/sec from some MediaOne FTP's. I've downloaded their 5M test file in less than 17 seconds!

I get really good upload rates too, it makes a great Q2 server with Q3 (I had 4 servers up most of the time, down to 2 because no one played the other 2)

It's a really good deal for only $40 a month over the regular cable!

BBA

you'd have to try them both out to know for sure... It varies by area, provider and cable modem. I read a review in a newspaper (The Toronto Star) and adsl came out on top (for speed that is)...

I have cable w/ cox@home in San Diego.

I regularly get speeds of 300 Kbps upstream and 600-1000 Kbps downstream.

note that is Kilo-BITS-per sec. Divide by 8 for Kilo-BYTES per sec...

Your cable speed is largely determined by how may people you are sharing your line with at that moment. I live in a hippie-beach community, and alot of the residents there are to busy surfing on the ocean to surf on the web, so I might have it better than some...

I love cable modem. It rules.

-geekd

My dad has Optimum Online cable modem service on his HP 6470Z (P2/400, 96M). I tried a real world test of his cable vs my trusty old 56k. Downloading Star Wars Episode 1 Trailer B (25 meg) took me over 2 hours. His cable modem did it in about 10 minutes. Exactly what that works out to in KB or Kb per second, I don't know, but I've never been into benchmarks and things of that nature.

well i have cable and i get to the ISPs server 500K/s and actual speeds of around 350K/s

Does anyone have Adelphia cable access out there? We are way out in the boonies and the best we can get on the phone lines is 28.8 with V90x2 modems. When we upgraded cable the installer said 28 thousand bps, (in 6 months or so) which is the same speed we have now, just doesn't tie up the phone line... (Then again, he implied all the hbo channels we added would be in stereo and they aren't...)