Thread: Can you re-burn cd-r disks?????

Can you re-burn cd-r disks?????

Hi,
    Can you use cd-r disk like a zip disk and re-write over an old cd-r disk?

Thanks,
    Tom

Ultimate Member
    CD-R stands for CD-Recordable. So, you can record data only once on the disk.
    CD-RW stands for CD-Rewritable. With these, you can record data up 1000 times.

So, to answer your question, NO, you can NOT use CD-R as ZIP drive and copy/delete files.
    Uses CD-RW instead.
    Obviously, you need a drive which can re-write CD, not only write.

Stan

Ultimate Member
    CD-R discs can be added to until full. As Seldon said, this is done by leaving disc open each session, but the new table of contents wastes about 20mb per session. When starting session 2, you import data from previous session to keep the old stuff. You can't write over existing files, but you can replace a file with a new version, old version will still occupy space on the disc, but table of contents will reference the new copy, old copy will be inaccessable. You can also rename files from previous sessions. Adaptec has lots of cd-r info at their website, here's the link for multisession recording info.
    http://www.adaptec.com/support/faqs/multisession.html

[This message has been edited by Ed_S (edited 07-09-99).]

You can, in fact, -add- files to a CDR, provided when you burned it the first time you closed the session but not the entire disk. It rewrites the TOC, and you lose some space in the process. And of course, the reusability is very limited, and can only be done if you don't have a lot on the CD to begin with.

Replacing files is quite impossible, though, as Stan points out.

One of my classes requires me to turn in a 'scrapbook' on occasion, and all my files are < 20 MB. I've reused the disk by simply burning additional assignments as they are due. Wasted a good deal of the CD capacity in the process, but hell, they're $1.50.

Thanks guys.
    I just bought myself a HP CD-RW drive.

Tom

Hey Thomas...

Let us know which one and how it performs for you.

Best of luck!

Later...Paul

Ultimate Member
    Aside from occasionally being able to add files indicated in the previous posts, your best be for reburning a cd-r is the incinerator.

Ultimate Member
    A lot depends on the CD's usage. I add to CD-Rs regularly. Incremental back-ups, data files, photo files, and such are very easy to add to multisession CDs. Have some with 10 or more sessions, works well. Have also used to combine several small programs, such as utils, onto one CD for convenience.
    If CD is a copy of something large, multisession is pretty useless, but then I use mine mostly for archiving and rarely copy other CDs.

Wow..ive had a CD-r Drive for a year and didnt fiddle around much with it...this is news to me..
    Can u save buffer underran (underran or underrunned?..well ya know what i mean) disc's with a new session?
    I kinda like this idea cuz My friends ask for some huge downloads sometimes (not huge..like 20mb or so) that I have on my comp but dont exactly have the floppys to use....This is like a whole new revelation for me
    Anyways can you save disc's this way?

Sure, just get a magic marker and you can write all over the CD-R.

Ultimate Member
    AuraEdge - Not sure if underrun discs can be saved w. multisession or not, haven't had one in quite a while. Seems like it did work. though.

Another unusual usage - I've copied my old floppies to CD. Just create separate directory for each one, then copy. Most won't install from this, but just copy it back to a floppy & you've got it. Great backup method. Saves a lot of space & searching!