Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some more help folks..Win95 install

DON'T FORGET TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE PIX3 DRIVERS BEFORE INSTALLING EVERYTHING ELSE. It is not strictly necessary to install these drivers if you aren't going to load the USB supplement, but you might end up fighting an MS-Dos compatibility mode issue if you don't and you could have performance problems due to interrupt sharing, depending on what slot a given device is in.

This is rest of this is mostly just FYI for you rextex....

Originally posted by rextex
    I have to note there is one error in Fatal's method:
    Where it says:
    E:
    once you're at E:
    this what you should do:
    copy win95 C:\win95
    if you look back at the commands you will see that when we left drive C: the folder \WIN95 was the active folder. the COPY command when issued to a drive letter copies files to the active directory...

nice to see someone doublechecking to keep us honest!

Originally posted by rextex
    Because if its a "Windows start disk" you used to boot, it creates a RAM drive with the windows utilities loaded in it and bumps your CD Drive letter one letter down.So if it used to be E: it will be F:
    Gateways universal boot disk doesn't create a ramdisk. It is a disk that has drivers for only the cdroms used in Gateway systems.

Ok, I can do that. But which one. The D/L's at Gateway are for 95A or WinNT, and don't specify.

i'd guess win95a... boot up your system and see if you have the option to enable dma transfers on your cdrom....

also check device manager and see what it says about your hard drive controllers.... does it mention 82371sb or just primary ide controller?

the drivers may be native in win95b, but i don't remember this to be the case

Just wanted to be sure. Gateway said this:

"The motherboard in your computer is Gateway
    part number MBDSAC056AAWW. This board has PIIX3 chipset. There are PIIX3 drivers available for Windows 95. However, they are native to Windows 98. You do not have to download any additional drivers for the PCI bus."

Unless they think I'm running Win98, I may have to D/L them. Anyway, I've downloaded the 95a set, but haven't done anything with them yet.

PIIX-4 drivers are native to WIN98

PIIX-3 drivers appear to be native to WIN95B. (PIIX-4 drivers aren't)

PIIX-2 drivers are native to WIN95A (PIIX-3 drivers aren't)

hope this clears things up... you don't need to install the PIIX-3 drivers

Thanks Fatal. This has been a super long road to recovery, but I've learned a few more things. Can't believe the floppy AND the cd-rom got hosed. What are the chances??

Well, here I am again. I must be stupid or can't read, one. Trying to load the drivers according to Gateway's instructions, but not going well. It says to disable serial port 2..which I did. Reboot and go to device manager to load in Telepathx2....but the system keeps giving unknown devices prior to that on bootup that won't allow me to load those particular drivers for PCI, etc., then screws up device mgr with ?'s. I lost the Modem device category, and the system sticks telepath into a gray diamond category, which I know is wrong. I cleared NVRAM and tarted over, but the same occurences. Where have I gone astray...once again??? I'm gonna be completely white-headed when this is over.
    Last edited by jim.t; 03-23-2002 at 10:49 AM.

actually, they said disable serial port 2 (COM2)

remember when i asked if you had ever upgraded your modem with the 56k upgrade that Gateway had? i think you said yes. if you did, your floppy drivers will not load. you have to download the upgrade from gateway....

btw, the upgrade allowed you to use your modem with X2 or Flex modems, not just X2

Are you taking about the V90 upgrade? I tried to apply the upgrade but it failed. There's no "modem" category in device mgr, thus it doens't show Telepath anywhere in device mgr. I'm not sure I should have enabled "dialup" either, but I did. May not have anything to do with it.

And, yes, it was disable and I did that.
    Last edited by jim.t; 03-23-2002 at 11:00 AM.

yes, V.90

Ok, let me put it this way. Am I supposed to load Telepath first before any other drivers, and if so, should I be concerned with all the faulty unknown devices (?) that show up in device mgr, because the sysetem finds these devices before Telepath?

Also, should there be a Modem category in device mgr with Telepath listed before I can do any of this other stuff? Modem is gone when I removed all remnants of Telepath and cleared NVRAM. I think because there is no modem category it's creating that gray diamond with Telepath listed under it.

i'm not sure what you mean by gray diamond, but just remove all devices from unknown devices, make sure there is no modem component in sound, videos, game controllers, restart and load the device drivers as windows finds the devices... skip a device if you don't have the driver or have problems... you don't have to restart when it says too, just keep going thru the list....

I don't have a sound, videos, game controllers or a modem category. The only item listed under "sound" was Telepath and when I removed it the category went away.

Maybe I need to reload the OS and start all over.

no, you're cool.... categories go away when empty... kill other devices and reboot, then keep on truckin'
    Last edited by Fatal_Exception; 03-23-2002 at 11:32 AM.

Ok, back at it. Is it time to drink a beer yet? Whew!!