Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some more help folks..Win95 install

Need some more help folks..Win95 install

I replaced my floppy drive and cable and formatted the C drive for reinstall of Win95. Started installing Win95 and got all the way past creating the emergency bootdisk, and it started "copying files", which I think is the last step of the install. I had to redo the install several times because it kept hanging on this step..the last two times at 13% and 27% completed. Scandisk previously showed a good C and D drive (harddisk), but could I have a bad video card or something that would make it hang in this last step?

I remember when I installed the floppy that my droplight rolled over and touched the metal part of the box which burned out the lightbulb. Could this have hosed a card and prevent me from completing this install...so close to the end??

Guess I'll have to start putting some of you folks on the payroll.

Ran a complete harddrive sector scan and it's ok.

Thanks once again, Jim.

BTW, if I pull the Telepath modem, will that do anything to me as far as loading anything else that might be needed?

ref: http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=100904
    Last edited by jim.t; 03-21-2002 at 08:44 PM.

turn your windows cd over and inspect it carefully... rub out any smudges, smears, donut icing, etc....

boot floppy

A:\>C:
    C:\>MD WIN95
    C:\>CD WIN95

C:\WIN95>E: (assuming E: is cdrom drive)
    E:\>CD WIN95
    E:\WIN95>COPY *.* C:

E:\WIN95>C:
    C:\WIN95>SETUP

once you finish running setup (it should not be a problem after this if the CD isn't damaged) then insert the Integrated Controller UATA floppy into the drive and type A:\update in the run window or from a dos prompt type update

once that is done, you can go back and run USBSUPP.EXE from the windows CD

after all that you can load the drivers....

After writing the above, I remembered this document... Here's a good link for you to print instructions of the approved Gateway method of reinstalling Win95B after fdisk and format.
    Relaoding Win95B
    Last edited by Fatal_Exception; 03-22-2002 at 01:57 AM.

I don't know if to tell you to pull the card or not.
    I hope it works out better than:
    "The Great NIC Incident" !

leave it in... do you know if you ever upgraded your telepath to make it 56k compatible? if you did, you driver diskettes won't be much use....

Ok, I cleaned up the Win95 cd real good and printed off a copy of load instructions. I emailed Gateway, and he said the first thing to do before doing another re-install is to disconnect the zip drive. I can do that.

I really didn't have to do all the dos commands...changing directories, etc. I load in my Gateway universal disk and Win95 cd and it takes off into "setup" without any prompting.

Fatal: Reading those dos commands looks like you load the cd to c:win95 and setup from harddrive...is that right?

Integrated Controller UATA floppy...am I suppose to have this?

What are PIIX-4 drivers? Don't recall ever having those loaded before. And I didn't have USB support before either. Also, my other instructions from Gateway told me if it hungup during install to just power off, restart, F1 to go to setup screen, and select "safe recovery". Well, there isn't any "safe recovery" on the setup screen anywhere, so I'm relegated to re-formatting and re-installing the whole thing over and over again.

I did upgrade to V90 for the telepath 56k compatible stuff, but we've got cable and I doubt we go back to a 56k modem. Can I just remove that and reinstall when and if needed?

Fortunately, as it where, the harddrive tested ok.
    Last edited by jim.t; 03-22-2002 at 09:18 AM.

Originally posted by jim.t
    Fatal: Reading those dos commands looks like you load the cd to c:win95 and setup from harddrive...is that right?

Integrated Controller UATA floppy...am I suppose to have this?

What are PIIX-4 drivers? Don't recall ever having those loaded before. And I didn't have USB support before either. Also, my other instructions from Gateway told me if it hungup during install to just power off, restart, F1 to go to setup screen, and select "safe recovery". Well, there isn't any "safe recovery" on the setup screen anywhere, so I'm relegated to re-formatting and re-installing the whole thing over and over again.
    yes, if you copy the win95 folder to the hard drive you get past problems with disk reads and setup runs much faster since the cdrom isn't accessed....

PIXX-4 drivers are bus mastering drivers for the motherboard... if you have a motherboard that preceeds PIXX-4 and has WIN95A this isn't necessary....

If you run setup from the win95 folder on the hard drive you will get safe recovery when appropriate... (usually this occurs if the system hangs during enumeration process) you may not have gotten that far while installing from CD

Just contacted Gateway again, and they told me:
    "your board has PIIX3 chipset. There are PIIX3 drivers available for Windows 95. However, they are native to Windows 98. You do not have to download any additional drivers for the PCI bus."

Ok, that's cleared up. One more thing, while the setup was running, it asked me to put checkmark if I had a 1) network card, and/or 2) sound, MIDI, video card. I didn't check either one since I would be loading drivers after the install. I hope that's right.

Ok, here we go, again. I tried to re-install the OS, but kept hanging. I was trying to copy the Win95 cd to the hard drive, and I got 22 out of 55 files copied and it'd **** out. So as a last ditch effort I tried the cd-rw, and lo and behold all 55 files copied to the HDD. The cd-rom is also hosed! No problem...I can get another one.

But, I can't get DOS to change from A: to C:\Win95. Keeps going back to A:. Any ideas?? Please!

type:
    C:
    then:
    cd windows

When you crash during install next time.Turn off your computer.Then turn it on again.

Also per Gateway note:
    You have Win95b (aka:OSR2) not Win98 and will need the drivers.

Ok, let me try that. Hope I have some better news.

BTW, this is pre-OS-install, so are we talking booting up with the universal boot disk w/ Win95 cd, then exiting to an A: prompt and "cd c:" ? Because, it didn't work the last time. At the A: prompt I entered "C:\Win95" and it flashed C:\Win95, and went straight to A:.

Forgot alot of DOS. If ya don't use it.....
    Last edited by jim.t; 03-22-2002 at 08:32 PM.

To get to C: from a:
    just type:
    C:
    change directory (cd)doesn't work from a drive to another drive.You just type in the drive letter with colon.

And of course to change to a directory it has to exist.

I have to note there is one error in Fatal's method:
    Where it says:
    E:
    once you're at E:
    this what you should do:
    copy win95 C:\win95

This doesn't seem to be logical but it is because of a command windows will use when you use setup command.
    And before you use setup command make sure you're in Win95 directory on C:

Be sure you've freshly formatted the drive C: erasing the previous windows directory, etc.
    And of course when you are installing windows just install to the default "Windows" folder.Not Win95.Win95 will be your folder containing the copy of the whole win95 folder from the CD.
    A further note is that if you can't find E: as you're CD it may be F:
    as you have D: already another Harddrive partition.
    Be sure you are copying the Win95 disk.
    Type: dir from the drive to check what's in there.
    Because if its a "Windows start disk" you used to boot, it creates a RAM drive with the windows utilities loaded in it and bumps your CD Drive letter one letter down.So if it used to be E: it will be F:

Also command to go from a folder on a drive back to the root of the drive is: cd \

I hope you're aware the CD-Rom must have a driver loaded from the start disk to function?

I guess you were installing from the disk before and thus had the CD Drive working.

Thanks Rex....I'll give 'er a try. Good info, and yes, it does install the cd-rom drivers.
    Last edited by jim.t; 03-22-2002 at 08:55 PM.

Gentlemen....we have LIFTOFF...and an Win95 OS!!

Would you believe an old dude like me would be elated with a paultry little Win95 success. Oh hell yeah!!

I do have an OS, but the driver load saga will continue tommorrow.

Thanks to Fatal and Rex mostly for the patience to keep feeding me bits of info to get this piece of **** going again. Reminded me of the ole x286 days...which I tried hard to forget what little I learned then. Man, give me the old IBM mainframes and a little Cobol/CICS and I'm happy.

Thanks again, Jim.