Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help I built my new computer. Dont want to make a error now..

Help I built my new computer. Dont want to make a error now..

Hi. i just built my first computer. It's a 1.7 ghz p4. with the 850 GB motherboard. I have 2 ea. 256 MB RDRAM. a Geforce 2 card. a sound blaster 5.1 card. i put a thermaltake fan on the cpu. the floopy drive is in. and I have a 52X cd rom. I have more but not installed yet. I want to start it up with the Basic. so as not to get cofused . I read that I need to setup the ( OS ) which I'm not sure what their talking about . Then put the drivers in for the 850 chipset. which I'm sure is the mother board's disk I got..

question is. what is the OS ??

And am I on the correct track ??

I'm planning that once I put the motherboard in. that the other hardware will pop up looking for there drivers and at that time I just install there disk.

So ???? Thanks Joe

It refers to the operating system. Whatever you choose to run.
    Once you have that installed, then you install your motherboard,video, sound, etc. drivers.
    Last edited by JDT; 03-05-2002 at 06:32 PM.

Originally posted by JDT
    It refers to the operating system. Whatever you choose to run.
    Once you have that installed, then you install your motherboard,video, sound, etc. drivers.
    Boy that was easy enough. So more or less I put everything I want into this unit and then do the motherboard 1st to setup the chips and then fallow down the line with all the drivers ?
    Well I guess I'll wait till friday for the big day. thats when my windows 98 se are to come. and might as well do it all. plus I'll have the weekend to fix any problems. not that i'll have any but who knows. Thanks Joe

Just a suggestion..............start with the minimum installed first.
    That way if you start to have any problems, there won't be so much to eliminate.

sorry..........yes, you would start with the motherboard drivers first. You might want to visit the motherboard website and see if there are updated drivers. The ones that come with it are usually outdated.

Good luck

Basic hardware to have installed on the computer.
    Video Card, hard drive, floppy drive, cdrom drive (dvd-rom or cd-burner) whichever you are using, and memory. Be sure that all the cables and wires are connected correctly.
    Have the system bios set for default. But, you will need to set some items in the bios or use jumpers on the motherboard to setup the cpu speed, whether you are using an AGP or PCI graphics card. If AGP, what speed 1x, 2x, or 4x.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Imperion1
    Basic hardware to have installed on the computer.
    Video Card, hard drive, floppy drive, cdrom drive (dvd-rom or cd-burner) whichever you are using, and memory. Be sure that all the cables and wires are connected correctly.
    Have the system bios set for default. But, you will need to set some items in the bios or use jumpers on the motherboard to setup the cpu speed, whether you are using an AGP or PCI graphics card. If AGP, what speed 1x, 2x, or 4x.
    [/Q

afraid to ask. but is that all i have to do is set those items or is there alot more ? and is this all in the setup area at the begining ?

JOE

You will definitely want to read the motherboard manual to understand what each item is a little more.
    But, what I listed was just the basics. There is more. Its really not too hard once you get the hang of it. My first computer build took me about 20 hours total. This includes installing the hardware into the case, plugging everything in, setting the bios, installing windows, and installing the hardware drivers.
    It does get easier understanding this stuff though. Just hangout in the forums, read other peoples posts and ask questions on something if you don't quite understand something.

If you don't mind a little reading, this will give you some good info. It pertains to an Award bios (not knowing what you have), but will give you some general guideance.
    http://www.hwupgrade.com/bios/index2.html

Originally posted by JDT
    If you don't mind a little reading, this will give you some good info. It pertains to an Award bios (not knowing what you have), but will give you some general guideance.
    http://www.hwupgrade.com/bios/index2.html
    Hey JDT. I copied the intire techncal product specification from intel for my 850GB board. They have an area for bios setup. From what I understand. This board will attempted to boot from 5 items. in Default 1 st being floppy, 2nd armd-hdd, 3rd ide-hdd, 4th cdrom. 5th disabled.

I need to changed this to 1st boot CDROM. then reboot and load my motherboard drivers in. is this correct ??
    Looks like the bios is pre installed. the defaults were what I needed. 64mb video. agp card. has a delay on the hdd. but I don't know if I'll need that yet. untill it boots to fast and skips files.

dose this sound right or am i missing somthing ??

Thanks joe

hi
    what motherboard have you got?

do you need to set the jumpers and dip switches manually or does the motherboard use softmenu?.

answering these questions make it a bit easier for us to help

Originally posted by cavill
    hi
    what motherboard have you got?

do you need to set the jumpers and dip switches manually or does the motherboard use softmenu?.

answering these questions make it a bit easier for us to help
    Hi. I have the D850GB intel desktop Board 423 socket with a 1.7 P4. sound blaster 5.1 card. Geforce 2 card. intel V90 56K card. 2 256 MB RdRam. 1 floppy drive and 1 52X CDROM. 2 hard Drives 1 60 GB & 1 13GB for back up.

There is jumpers. 1 is for USB port 2 routing block
    & BIOS setup Configuration Jumper Block

Thats all of them. Joe

hi
    i have had a quick look on intels site and it looks like you will need to set the settings for the cpu in the bios, this is very easy to do so dont worry.

is the harddrive brand new or does it already have an os on it?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cavill
    hi
    i have had a quick look on intels site and it looks like you will need to set the settings for the cpu in the bios, this is very easy to do so dont worry.

is the harddrive brand new or does it already have an os on it?
    [/QUOTE

The Hard drive is New. that will be connected when i start it up. the 2nd one will be added later. I have windows 98 SE full verion coming friday by mail

okay
    1st check to see if floppy drive light stays on when you turn the pc on,(it should only flash a few times) if it does turn the cable in connectors on mobo round

2nd put win 98 se boot disk in floppy
    3 put win 98 cd in cdrom/or dvd rom

4 turn pc on (leave first boot option set as Floppy drive)
    5 when prompted choose boot with cdrom support
    6 at "a" prompt type fdisk this will partition your harddrive
    7 when you have partitioned the hard drive turn pc off and on again choose setup with cdrom support, at "a" prompt type format c: , this will then format your harddrive

8 at next "a" prompt type setup and win 98 should then install

once it has installed then instal all other drivers,ie video, sound, modem etc

good luck