Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive crash and Norton GoBack

Hard Drive crash and Norton GoBack

Hi folks:

Once again I'm back requesting your assistance with a computer problem.

My computer's hard drive crashed and it has Norton GoBack 4.0 installed in it.

I would like to recover some of my data file and several pics.

I had another old HD, so I installed Windows XP, made it my primary drive, and made the crashed HD a slave drive.

I reinstalled GoBack believing that would give me access to the drive, and then, be able to recover the needed files. WRONG!.

When I try to access the slave drive, I received two messages saying something to the effect that some sectors were damaged (maybe in the MBR). When I try to disable GoBack, it crashes my primary HD and I had to reinstall Window XP all over again.

I am in the process of buying a new HD, probably sometime tomorrow, but I’m sure that the somet hing will occur if I keep the crashed drive as a slave and try tor recover my files; that because the slave drive with GoBack will make the primary HD crash.

Any suggestions in how to remove GoBack and recover some of the needed files?

PS The drive had several partitions, C, D, E, and F. when I look at the drive with Partition Magic it shows a drive type 44 and no partition in it.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Montevideano

Remove it in DOS. Download a bootable floppy:

http://1gighost.net/jerseyboy/boot98c.exe

Copy the GB_PROG.EXE disk from the GoBack files to the floppy. Boot with it and type gb_prog /u at the prompt.

Once done, hook the drive up as a slave and use a program to retrieve the data:

http://www.runtime.org/

GoBack is of absolutely no use when a hard drive fails. At best, it's an impediment.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The Type 44 flag means that the MBR is under the dominion of GB.

Do as Bill has mentioned. Reconnect the damaged GB HDD as your primary HDD and then the copy the GB file to FDD called gb_prog.exe.

At the A prompt type:

gb_prog.exe /u or gb_prog /u

This will unhook GB from the MBR and so you will have access to your data at least for data recovery purposes.

Now disconnect the problem HDD. Reconnect the new HDD as primary and the problem HDD as secondary. You should be able to see and retrieve the data from the problem HDD now.

If you are unsure post back before proceeding.

GB can be an impediment unless one nows what is going on.
    Last edited by G; 01-22-2006 at 02:21 PM.

Dr Mr. BipolarBill and Mr. G:

You guys are great. I was able to remove GoBack from the damage HD and now I'm able to see all my data.

I need some advice. I'm planning to buy two Seagate Drives: one internal 100GB Ultra ATA HD, and a second: An external Seagate 100GB.

I would like to use the external drive to copy images of the internal HD. I also thought to keep a slave internal drive. Can I do that if I have an external HD? Does the external drive use USB port?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated

Montevideano

That depends on which external drive you buy. Most of them are USB 2.0. Your PC is a bit old judging by the fact that you had GoBack 4.0 on it. Do you have High Speed USB? Look in Device Manager for "Enhanced" under Universal Serial Bus.

Anyway, you can back up your drives with a USB drive, but you must have a recent version of Ghost or True Image if you want to restore via USB.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Hi BipolarBill:

You are correct, my board is a bit old. It is a ABIT DB7 and it doesnot have High Speed USB. I'm getting into digital photography and using Photoshop, therefore in a near future I would like to upgrade my motherboard to something with more speed and more memory. Maybe a board that support dual processors.

In the meantime, I have to back up a bunch of files to DVDs.

Do you any websites that can teach me a bid about motherboards with dual processors vs chips with dual core.?

Thanks,

Montevideano

You can always add an NEC USB 2.0 adapter card to your system.

http://tinyurl.com/6nhm

Photoshop can take advantage of dual-CPU setups, so upgrading to dual-core makes plenty of sense.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mr. BipolarBill,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Do you have any recommendations on dual-core motherboards and what type of processor do you recommend? I imagine that we are talking 64 bits processors? AMD vs. Intel.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Regards,

Montevideano

I have no personal experience with dual-core CPUs. I would, however, recommend an AMD - any AMD. I would also recommend an nVidia nForce3 or 4 motherboard. Keep in mind that the NF4 chipset will require a new video card - PCI Express.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Best of CPU's and Overclocking

www.2cpu.com

A64s X2s are the best bet right now. Both AMD and Intel have 64-bit cpus, but it is a waste of time to run Win64 unless you have specific 64-bit apps to run on it.

just added this link to best of data, since goback seems to be a recurring theme:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...v_lvl=&seg=hho

BipolarBill and MidKnyte:

Thanks for your comments. I guess I need to read a bit more about the new chips and motherboards. Probably, I also need to save some money. It seems that those processors and motherboards run several hundred dollars. Need to get educated.

Thanks for the links.

Montevideano

Many Thanks

Hi folks,

I purchased a new Seagate HD, and was able to recover 99% of the files I had on my damaged HD. I'm extremely thankful to BipolarBill, G, and Midknyte for all your input and advice.

I have installed 90% of my software.

Now to the task of planning to rebuild my computer with new motherboard.

I will post at the motherboard forums.

Once again, Thanks a million.

Fix for GoBack crash

If you get the black screen of death after installing GoBack, there is a fix which works

Reboot and press ctrl-alt-g repeatedly (and quickly)

This will disable goback and enable you to boot normally, saving a load of trouble and reinstalls etc.

Whern you are back in XP, get hold of Goback, uninstall it and throw it where it belongs i.e. in the "universal, round, filing cabinet"

famel,

Thank you for your response. I'm having second doubts regarding products produced by Symantec. In particular the One Button Check Up, it creates many problems by changing and deleting items that need to be left alone.

Montevideano

I had the same problem- complete nightmare!

I have... had ... a Raid 1 with Go Back running- big mistake. The fix described above did not work at first.
    I had to kick one of the drives off of the Raid and unplug the other drive to get the utility to remove goback from the MBR. Otherwise the GB_prog utility actually jumped strait into normal bootup with Go back continuously restarting the system. Very strange...

I wonder if I should follow the same process with the other drive? Will that interfere with rebuilding my Raid?

Thanks a ton for everyone who described the fix. I have to admit that the pictures of my daughters birth last month were on there and not backed up. I was seriously worried about loosing them. I tend to forget to make backups at the most crucial times.