Thread: Bios Nightmare A7N8X-VM/400

Bios Nightmare A7N8X-VM/400

I accidentally flashed my new Asus A7N8X-VM/400 motherboard with the latest A7N8X-VM bios. I can no longer boot properly but I can still get the motherboard to prompt me for the original “ROM” file. Here’s the problem…. Asus does not have any bios revisions posted for this board on their website. Nor do they even have the original bios. Does anyone know where I can find an original bios image for this board?

p.s. Is doesn't pay to work on a PC half asleep.

Thanks in advance,

JRebel

The manual says there is a " working bios file... in the support CD. " pg. 2.2

You might want to review ALL of Chapter 2 before proceeding

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...n8x-vm_400.pdf

Rocketmech, low and behold there it is. Thankyou kindly. Now heres the catch its asking me for A7N8X-VM.ROM and the file I have is A7NVM400.ROM. Think if I rename the later to the first it will be fooled?

You fooled it once, didn't you?
    MS MCP, MCSE

Hello,

I have a Asus A7N8X-VM rev. 2.02 Motherboard that has a Bad BIOS Checksum error on boot and tries to find the original BIOS file from the CD. The file name is A7NVM400.ROM. I do not have the CD, so if anyone can send me that file I would appreciate it. I believe this board is the A7N8X-VM, but could also be the A7N8X-VM/400 as the BIOS chip says 1001 on it.

Thank You,

Bob

Does anyone have this file?

Quote Originally Posted by ToGrok View Post
    Hello,

I have a Asus A7N8X-VM rev. 2.02 Motherboard that has a Bad BIOS Checksum error on boot and tries to find the original BIOS file from the CD. The file name is A7NVM400.ROM. I do not have the CD, so if anyone can send me that file I would appreciate it. I believe this board is the A7N8X-VM, but could also be the A7N8X-VM/400 as the BIOS chip says 1001 on it.

Thank You,

Bob
    I have the same problem and no CD.
    Does anyone have this file and can e-mail it to me?

I tried every version

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmech View Post

I got a A7N8X-VM /400 mobo which i did a BIOS upgrade on. Now when ever its about to boot it hangs.

Also if i take the graphics card out and use the on board on instead of hanging the screen turns all multi color and does nothing.

Everything else works correctly except being able to boot.

Things I already done:
    ----------------------
    Already reset CMOS taking battery out, remove cord and reset jumper.
    Removed all components and reseated them all
    Disconnected everything except bare minimum
    Trialed with different settings in BIOS.
    I tried different versions of BIOS using ALT +F2 (Which thankfully still works)
    Checked boot order
    Used boot menu
    ----------------------

I have no other problems with it and it appears to be working fine until the boot process.

It cant be hardware but more software problems. There was another topic here that had the same problem but they managed to get it working from the looks of it.

Thanks.

The bios hangs.. checked boot order... pc works fine otherwise is conflicting info.

Does it complete POST during power on ? Can you access the bios menu fine? Did you save changes before exiting when you made changes in the bios setup?

Have you tried booting to a floppy(W98 or DrDos), CD/DVD (UBCD or Linux Live distro)or a usb drive? Does the bios see any drives at all?

What was the issues you were having that preempted updating the bios?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmech View Post
    The bios hangs.. checked boot order... pc works fine otherwise is conflicting info.

Does it complete POST during power on ? YES
    Can you access the bios menu fine? YES
    Did you save changes before exiting when you made changes in the bios setup? I did.

Have you tried booting to a floppy(W98 or DrDos), CD/DVD (UBCD or Linux Live distro)or a usb drive? I tried every one of them but the computer freeze before the boot.
    Does the bios see any drives at all? The Bios recognise everything. hard drives, CD, USB.

What was the issues you were having that preempted updating the bios?
    I thought that if I will update my bios. It will work better with RAID. Wich was a mistake.
    Now I'm Willing to update the first ROM file that was on this Bios but I don't have it.
    I tried every ROM file that ASUS gives on their support site but it still freezes.

I think your at a point that you need to take it to a local pc shop, not Best Buy, but a local guy with a good rep. Understand your system is fairly old and the cost of a repair will likely be more than a DIY motherboard combo upgrade.