Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we ever build an intelligent supercomputer?

Can we ever build an intelligent supercomputer?

Can we ever build an intelligent supercomputer that can handle all the sophisticated jobs? Like controlling orbital satellites, maintaining factories and traffic control purposes? If we have a supercomputer, will it be reliable and trustworthy? After so many companies have introduced their supercomputers to the public, I think our daily lives will be dominated by those supercomputers in the near future.

Everything will be done by the supercomputer and it will somehow become self-aware and intelligent. With Microsoft and Intel so powerful and popular, I think we'll be able to see a typical and new supercomputer that will take over all the communication and military systems in the future.

Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Sadly "intelligence" isn't something computers are going to have for quite a while. When they do, they'll take over the world...oh wait thats a movie....

But really, IMO when computers gain intelligence they will make mistakes just as humans do

-B

When that time comes, supercomputers will be so smart and straight-forward that they will never make mistakes. They will make thier own rules and regulations to perfomr certain tasks. No more need for humanity! Earth becomes a robotic planet??

Give a man a fish
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

When that time comes, supercomputers will be so smart and straight-forward that they will never make mistakes. They will make thier own rules and regulations to perform certain tasks. No more need for humanity! Earth becomes a robotic planet??

Give a man a fish
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Ultimate Member
    Can we ever build an intelligent supercomputer?
    I certainly hope not, because anyone with any intelligence can see the human race is more of a problem than its worth.. and so we get the good auld Terminator situation again

--Jakk

When that time comes, supercomputers will be so smart and straight-forward that they will never make mistakes.

A component of intelligence is learning from mistakes. Not possible to ever reach plateau of no mistakes. To not make mistakes, means the "brain" is no longer in a learning mode.

Re: Can we ever build an intelligent supercomputer?

Originally posted by cbh
    Can we ever build an intelligent supercomputer that can handle all the sophisticated jobs? Like controlling orbital satellites, maintaining factories and traffic control purposes? If we have a supercomputer, will it be reliable and trustworthy? After so many companies have introduced their supercomputers to the public, I think our daily lives will be dominated by those supercomputers in the near future.

Everything will be done by the supercomputer and it will somehow become self-aware and intelligent. With Microsoft and Intel so powerful and popular, I think we'll be able to see a typical and new supercomputer that will take over all the communication and military systems in the future.

Well first we would have to find some intelligent people to build the darn thing!

Wile it relies on us to write the software it’s got no hope. All we have to do is wait for it to crash. So it will never take over the world.

You all have forgotten something....COmputers are nothing without humans to control and prgoram them. They can'dt do jack ***** without a human. It was the human who made the computer. it was the human who programmed ti to do all that it needs to do.

So the answer to your quesiton is no in my eyes..yes we will probably make something that can calculate pi to 10 sextillion places to the right of the decimal in a nanosecond but nothing artificial can take over the earth. it requires flesh and blood to do that.....(Bill Gates)
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

RE: No need for humanity

Then who's going to hit "ctl-alt-del" when the BSOD comes up on these "supercomputers"

Hahaha. Thats a good question. I guess the answer would be:

Microsoft isn't in the future

-B

An intelligent supercomputer means that it can think for itself and does not need humans to supervise it. Aren't we trying to create such a thing now? Like IBM is trying to perfect its previous supercomputer! As more people are relying on computers, many computer companies are trying to meet the high demand. Thus, more powerful computers are created to dominate the computer market.

At the same time, a supercomputer can be used to control all the comunication systems and manage traffic control systems. Thus, the need for 24-hr monitoring jobs is over and humans do not need to work shift jobs anymore. The supercomputer will do the shift job and it will manage itself. That means the computer does not need somebody to restart itself as it has gained intelligence and self-awareness.

In the end, humans are nothing to the supercomputer and the Internet will be under its control. All the home PCs will be useless and machinery will be controlled by the monstrosity.

Give a man a fish
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Read "The Forbin Project" I don't want that kind of decision making power in a computer, thankyou. As for "intelligent", first we'll have to actually define intelligence. A self aware machine, possibly, intelligent, I don't know.

Originally posted by CrazyMike
    RE: No need for humanity

Then who's going to hit "ctl-alt-del" when the BSOD comes up on these "supercomputers"

roflmao, good one, lol.

If you don't want that scenario to happen, it will just happen anyway. That means you will volunteer to destroy anything that is more intelligent than humans?

'Thou shall not create anything in the form of Man'

That phrase sounds familiar...

Give a man a fish
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever