Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Intel Patents Technology to Stop Overclocking

Intel Patents Technology to Stop Overclocking

strangely enough, after reading this article I had an indescribable urge to go out and buy a T-bred Athlon XP 1800+ and overclock the hell out of it.

BS!

Geez, don't take it so personal. I'm 99.9% sure that this won't affect the majority of us. It'll be a "niche" market. They'll probably sell "regular" ones with warnings or somthing saying that this product is not "protected" with their anti-OC technology.

Tor

From the looks of things it's more aimed at remarked chips than consumer level O/Cing.

But still I don't care for it.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Well there goes the whole overclocking market, for intel atleast. AMD should be happy, anyone who wants to overclocks is going to be forced to buy AMD.

Good job intel a step in the WRONG direction

HAHAHA intel shot its self in the foot AMDs gonna prevail watch we'll all look back in the future and be like XT is right

TwEaKist
    Athlon XP 2100+ @ 2.24 (178X12.5)
    512Mb DDR400 (Corsair)
    80Gb WD 8Mb Cache
    Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb DDR
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2
    SB Live! Value
    Intel NIC
    2 CD-RW 8x4x32 & 2x4x24 (im cheap)

TwEaKist

My 2600+ is looking more and more like a wise choice.

Sad to say but they do not really care about the OC market. Looks like I will be sticking with AMD.

Funny, all replies come from AMD funs. Intel probably doesnt care of OC or consumers or AMD. They care about $$$. They would like to take the cash to their pockets instead of letting clonners to grab money on the expanse of innocent buyers. And to all of you finnacial wizards, OC market is so marginal it wont have any affect on INTEL any way.

Intel claims it is to protect against unscrupulous retailers, but the fact is they don't want anybody to get a faster machine without paying the full price for the latest chip. They are also probably tired of the chips that come back on them that were overclocked and then returned for warrenty replacement.

quite right. OC without the knowledge of the customer probably drives some bad reactions to intel, even without their fault. Poor intel.

Poor Intel?!!

Poor Intel?!! Are you kidding?!! I assume Bill Gates and those Saudis overseas are also "poor" too then huh?

The last time I checked, vendors selling systems with overclocked processors have warranties that go through "them", not Intel. I doubt seriously that these vendors are going to Intel and saying "hey we overclocked these processors and they're defective."

Do me a favor and get your head out of Intel's a** and you're realize that the only poor souls out here are the ones buying Intel systems.

Long live competition

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, knowing how fragile the P4 is to voltage and the number of returns, I'd assume it made a nick in their enormous pocketbook. They still said, however, that they wouldn't implement it just yet, and that it's simply another "patent."

While the returns may not make a huge difference to their pocketbook, they certainly hurt the return rate.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

I've never heard of burning a Pentium chip then returning it for Warranty.

I have heard and seen people burn an AMD chip then return it.

Unless you really try or are completely incompetent it's hard to burn out the "newer" Pentiums... there's a video on Tom's Hardware(i think that's where) of them running Quake 3.. then taking off the heatsink and still playing!

Even if they do use it to prevent people from burning and returning... I'm sure it doesn't take much to burn it up by using household tools to make it appear like it fried on it's own
    - Avor