Thread: USB Cable?

USB Cable?

I bought a SOYO device to bring USB ports and a memory reader to the front of my case. The cable for the USB ports is fine with the spare USB connectors on my motherboard. However, there is a 3rd connector for the card reader and it also has a five pin connector to to go the the motherboard. The problem is my mobo only has one spare set on it, the others are on USB connectors to plug device cables to.

Does anyone make a cable that would have a male connector I could plug into the connector they supplied and the other end would be the USB device connector that an outboard device usually has on it? If not, am almost thinking about fashioning one myself if I can get a picture of the pinout of the flat connector.

did you understand yourself whatever you just formulated?
    Well,in another words, you just wanna do a usb cable extention,
    if so sure you can do that, i doubt theres someone produce this kinda hardware, not many would need such a usless wire. But if you have a tolerance for a hard work!! do it yourself! Ofcorse you'll have to disassemble one or two usb conection pins...
    if it'll work .... you'll be daaaaaaamn proud of yourlelf!!
    maf.
    Last edited by Mafiosy; 03-18-2003 at 01:15 AM.

Originally posted by Mafiosy
    did you understand yourself whatever you just formulated?
    Well,in another words, you just wanna do a usb cable extention,
    if so sure you can do that, i doubt theres someone produce this kinda hardware, not many would need such a usless wire.
    Well, I find this WIRE very useful indeed!! This flash card reader http://www.sweex.nl/product.asp?pid=96 comes with a separate USB cable, so I can plug it in directly or via the cable - great, I can change the devices I want to use the this slot!

Funny, but USB repeaters are VERY expensive comparing to this card reader with USB extension cable.

Originally posted by Enya
    Well, I find this WIRE very useful indeed!! This flash card reader http://www.sweex.nl/product.asp?pid=96 comes with a separate USB cable, so I can plug it in directly or via the cable - great, I can change the devices I want to use the this slot!
    brrrr.... what the connection between the post and your flash card reader???
    doh!!
    maf.

That these cables DO exist. DUH.

Thanks folks, I agree if I fashion it myself it will enhance my manhood.

I looked in some old posts on USB and found a reference to a Belkin page that shows how USB is pinned out on the connectors. Doesn't look like that big a deal. Gonna stop at a couple places on the way home tonite and see if I can get the parts.