Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade question

Upgrade question

I wish to upgrade soon but have limited funds.
    What I would prefer to do is upgrade to an AMD xp 1800+ or higher. So I will have to upgrade my motherboard. But I want to continue to use my exsisting ram(pc 133), and upgrade to faster ram later.

Could anyone please give me suggestions on a motherboard that will support the new cpu, and the old ram, but still be upgradeable to newer faster ram later on.

Thank you.

HERHEY!!

ECS K7S5A supports 2 ddr dimms or 2 sdr dimms.

There are quite a few members of this forum who have this motherboard.

K7S5A!

Are the bugs truly worked out of the K7S5A? It seems that several months ago, all I ever read about them were complaints from people having trouble with everything from ram not working to systems not booting to random restarts and all kinds of stability issues. While I haven't heard as many bad comments lately, I wonder if it is because everyone replaced their K7S5A boards with boards that work the way they are supposed to, or the issues got resolved and the newer versions have been successfully "debugged". Since I am in the market for a budget DDR supporting board (time to upgrade one of the old Apollo Pro 133a systems), and I finally bought a 256 mb DIMM of crucial PC-2100 DDR, I would really like to know.
    <A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/ocdatabase.cgi?go=1&k=cheapster

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/ocdatabase.cgi?go=1&k=cheapster

</A>

I've had good luck with the recent-issue K7S5A.
    MS MCP, MCSE

MS MCP, MCSE

Given your stated requirements, the suggested board is probably the best, but not the only option. However, my 2 cents, you're making a mistake by insisting on SDRAM support. PC2100 DDR is reasonably priced. IMHO you should consider getting a newer board, that will only have DDR slots, and take this occasion to upgrade your memory.

Thanks

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice/opinion.
    I will probably do one of two things.
    1) Buy the ECS K7S5A
    Or
    2) Wait till I have more funds, and get a higher end board.
    Thanks again.

HERHEY!!

i saw a matsonic kt266a mobo on pricewatch.com on sale(you'll have to search)that supports both.Also my own computer a Jetway kt266a(VB266 i think)does both.Go w/ a kt266a mobo over the k7s5a-I've built several of each & prefer the via solution.
    mdm

mdm

Ultimate Member
    K7S5A is a solid board, and has ever been. Now it's been with us for over a year, and has had its round of BIOS updates to be well matured.

OK in itself it might be, but forgiving about DIY mistakes, wimpy power supplies, or not-really-good RAM it is not. But that's true for any one mainboard model, it's only that cheap stuff tends to attract cheap people ... and being cheap often seems to coincide with being choleric.

That Matsonic board btw is also an ECS product, also going under the K7VTA2 name.

regards, Peter
    Last edited by Peter M; 09-02-2002 at 08:54 AM.

Re: Upgrade question

Originally posted by Herhey
    I wish to upgrade soon but have limited funds.
    What I would prefer to do is upgrade to an AMD xp 1800+ or higher. So I will have to upgrade my motherboard. But I want to continue to use my exsisting ram(pc 133), and upgrade to faster ram later.

Could anyone please give me suggestions on a motherboard that will support the new cpu, and the old ram, but still be upgradeable to newer faster ram later on.

Thank you.

HERHEY!!
    Go with the K75SA. It is a solid board and works wonderfully with my amd xp 1800 (did the same thing as you, using my old pc133 ram).

I wouldn't waste your money on another board that may/may not be any better in performance. Save your money for something more useful, like a video card!

Cheers

I am also running a K7S5A, 512MB PC133, Duron 1GHz /w Cheepoman's 0626 OC'n BIOS, worked stable for the past 4 months and keeps ticking.

Looks like a ringing endorsement for K7S5A. Only $53 at newegg.com with free shipping! Link in my first post in this thread.

OK, just to (continue to) be different, I'll advise against the K7S5A. My advice, put your money into a good KT333 board. Make sure it has a 1:5 divider so that you'll have the option of running with the coming 166MHz FSB Athlons. You should probably start out with PC2100 DDR though, and a low end AthlonXP (e.g. 1600). That way you'll have decent performance now and the option to upgrade to PC2700 and a much faster 166MHz FSB Athlon in the future.