Thread: Need help.. resizing partition... dynamic disk?

Need help.. resizing partition... dynamic disk?

Ok.. I got a couple of good partition programs installed,but for wahtever reason i am getting th menu choices in both programs blanked out due to I believe is hte fact i have a second HD ,which is labeled as a 'dynamic disk'.

As i recall, someone here warned me not to use dynamic and maybe this is why.

How can i solve this and partition my drive?? I want to install the new I7 deta on one made partition of that second HD.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Do you have data already stored on the dynamic disk? If so, you need to backup the data then delete the partition and then creat a new simple partition.

NEVER, EVER USE DYNAMIC DISK!!!

Rabbit...you don't need partition programs. You need a backup program and absolutely no desire to install a beta operating system. That being said, please review your last year's worth of posts related to 'drive' and I'm sure you'll find not only the answer to your questions, but recommendations to prioritization of that 2nd drive....as a backup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OK thks! I kind of figured as much. Fortunately, i haven't all that much saved to that other drive..lol
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Installing Windows 7 on the second drive will change the contents of the first drive too. You had better take Shoreguy's advice and BACK UP the first drive to the second as an image before installing Windows 7.

Each time you install a new operating system, the master boot record and boot method is changed. If you don't like what you end up with, you won't be able to go back unless you finally take our advice (unlikely as that is) and start backing up.

Oh - and please don't act all indignant about my mentioning this. If you would like us to stop nagging you, feel free to tell us that you have started a backup regime.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thks for that. Bill. LOL I'll certainly do a backup first. I am by nature very cautious, and that is why i get on here and ask first. I haven't forgotten my last fiasco, and the boot record, so thanks for mentioning all that.