Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just thinking about memory?

Just thinking about memory?

I have put off getting some more memory for my PC since I built it. I did find out that with XP a lack of Memory can and does effect virtual memory usage.
    I have looked on eBay at several different kinds and was wondering, my new board came with 1 128MB of Kingston memory stick. Since I obviously need more, and I can put up to 3Gig on this one, do I have to stick with Kingston for can I mix brands. I did in the past with my old Gateway, but then I didn't really care if that old thing blew up or not. This one I am a bit more particular about. Some say, use the same brand, some say it doesn't matter. What do you all say? The majority will rule.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You do not have to stay with the same brand, but you MUST stay with the same type of RAM.

Double sided chips can not usually be mixed with single sided chips. Mixing high spped RAM with lower speed RAM will degrade the high spped down to the lower rating, etc.

The memory in it now is Kingston 255/133Mhz CE DDR . This is the first time I have had DDR. I have heard allot of great things about it, but, am still learning about it This Mobo can take PC1600/PC2100/PC2700/PC3200. DDR DMM. Now, what the great gravy granny does all that mean!!!!

Originally posted by spankyjo
    The memory in it now is Kingston 255/133Mhz CE DDR . This is the first time I have had DDR. I have heard allot of great things about it, but, am still learning about it This Mobo can take PC1600/PC2100/PC2700/PC3200. DDR DMM. Now, what the great gravy granny does all that mean!!!!
    The four digit number preceded by the letter PC, just shows theorietical bandwidth....these translate to these speeds respesctively 200MHz, 266 Mhz, 333 MHz, 400 MHz...

Kingston RAM is good at accepting a mix with double sided and single sided RAM, that's what I currently have in my computer. I think you have PC2100 if it is DDR...
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

why not get DDR400? ( PC 3200 ) runs my mobo gread

will you buy me some though? The higher/faster you get with memory sticks, the more money you'll be shelling out. I normally tend to match my RAM speeds to my cpu FSB speeds..

how fast is your processor?

-B

it's a 2500+

I'm going to get 2x512 of pc3200. It's going to be in august though. When I do, I'll probably sell both of these sticks for 70shipped. unless a client wants them, then they get it for $50 a pop, lol.

I get Crucial, directly from crucial.

edit.

Life time warranty too.

i mixed one sided with 2 sided ram.... works fine for me!
    -- GERG
    XP 2400+
    ECS K7S5A
    512MB DDR 2100
    Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB w/ VIVO
    Dual 80GB WD 8mb Cache

I am hoping to get 512MB of memory to start to add to the 128, My Mobo is Gigabyte GA-7VAX 1.x, my processor is a 1366 MHz AMD Athlon. with 128 kb pri, csh and 256 secd csh. I know I need a bigger processor but this is more on down the road too. AT least its bigger the the little 450 I had in my Gateway. This one moves a little faster. Thanks for the assist and advice.

no problemo vato.

I have the Epox 8RDA+ nice board too
    Last edited by gjimene2; 07-07-2003 at 08:16 PM.

From what the manual says on this one I guess can go 400, but as you say, expensive. I am not a gamer, just want a good computer to work on my music with, edit, etc. But, right now, I don't have enough memory to run the one best program I have for doing that without crashing. It pulls allot of juice. I can go up to 3 G with this Mobo but, then I would need a new processor to match that. I think I will take one step at a time. Thanks again for your thought
    Last edited by spankyjo; 07-07-2003 at 05:27 PM.

keep an eye out here as well.

got a stick of 512 pc 2100 about 2 months back direct from crucial, shipped free second day, for $51. thought that was pretty good

dont buy e-bay. go Crucial if feasable, their generally fairly reasonable and good ram

if not, im sure newegg will be mentioned soon

new egg is good. I found Crucial DDR400 for two bucks less, plus $15 shipping and handling

and OEM.

so I went with Crucial with free 2nd day air for 44.99 for a stick of DDR400

Wow, thanks for the places to look. I never heard of either place. If I can save a buck, I am willing. I love shopping for computer parts.

one

two

three

four

five

theres a few more, shop away