Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation on motherboard

Need recommendation on motherboard

Hi all, I need a recommendation on a motherboard. I want to up-grade my wife's computer from her pentium 233 to a Celeron 766MHz.....the problem is that she really likes her case, which is an AT format case, so I need a motherboard that is AT format that will accept a Celeron 766. I don't really care for onboard video and audio but I know there isn't much around for an AT case,so I could live with it if need be. I have looked at a few websites but only found a few boards for socket 370, and they didn't support a celery 766. If someone knows of a good board or if you have a board that is compatible please let me know.
    Thanks,
    G

I seriously doubt there is such a thing. If you are confident with a dremel and a drill you can mod it into an ATX case, maybe.

Or: Call her a dumb woman and buy the ugliest case you can find .

It seems that as long as it looks good on the outside it's good on the inside....I have seen at tigerdirect they have a few, one for a socket 370 but it will not support this processor. They have one for a socket 7 that will go to a 450 or 500 but then I have to buy another chip...or do like you said and mod it, maybe a mATX would fit.
    G

Doesn't anyone know where I can find an AT board that will support a Celeron 766?

If you are really dead set on wanting to use that AT case, look on ebay for "at 370" and you may find one. I found the Asus ME-99B, but it doesn't support celeron 766. You can try to get a powerleap adapter, which can also be found on ebay. Make sure that it can support the motherboard you get. That said, there are no guarantees.

Thanks omega31, I should also say that I do have a slot adapter so I could use a slot 1 board if need be.
    G

No problem, G. Searching for "at slot 1" gave even more options.

I should say that any slot 1 or socket 370 AT motherboard may not support the newer celerons, like the 766 you mention. The powerleap adapter (they come in different varieties, 370 to newer 370, 370 to slot 1) can allow an older motherboard to accept newer processors. But like I said, there are no guarantees.

I was just searching there myself and found some nice boards....but still not enough for a 766 celery. What is this powerleap adapter you are talking about? I have heard about it in passing but don't know alot about it. I have a Soltek SL-02A slot adapter that I bought for my Shuttle Spacewalker 661V Hot slot board, I got it because this board is auto detect for the voltage(bummer for overclocking). This adapter has voltage settings from 1.30v to 3.5v ,nice for o/clocking.
    Gary

More information on the powerleap adapters below. I picked out the 2 that would fit your situation.

http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm
    http://www.powerleap.com/Products/370T.htm

Don't think these are good for overclocking, though. But they may be your only option since your wife likes that AT case. What does the case look like, anyway?

Thanks omega, it's just a case....it's not an old case, fairly new. It looks pretty cool I guess, compared to some older AT cases. I modded it some..not too much though. I just vented the front for the fan. I guess she just likes it. When it comes to a woman why ask why.

I can't find anything either. All I am getting is older PPGA boards, where you need an FCPGA board. Just get a new case. iCute ones are relatively cheap. Eventually you will have to go from a moped to a mustang.

You might have some luck doing a Google search.

Thanks snix, done that already. I have done searches on other websites for days before I posted my request here.
    G

Are you 100% sure you want a CERELON and not a DURON ??!?!

Hello AllGamer, you're right, I want a Duron or an Athlon......but I have this 766celery I would like to use and what better place then in your wife's puter . I'm begining to give up hope of finding a board for this processor in an AT format .
    G