Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gamer locked at 60fps

Gamer locked at 60fps

I play games on my new comp and the framerates dont go past 60fps. Why? and what can I do about it? I hear using XP is the problem and that NVRefresh should fix it I tried that and no change . Is it because I use a 15"LCD? Does my monitor have to refresh faster then 60hz to get faster framerates? Would I even notice a difference?

Don't confuse frame rates (FPS) with refresh rate. Most games have an artificial FPS ceiling which you can defeat with a command (cg_maxfps XXX in Quake 3). If you are getting screen flicker, that's refresh rate. You can fix that with a number of tools like RivaTuner (difficult to find in the funky interface, but it's there) and NVRefresh.

http://guru3d.com/rivatuner/

The LCD screen may indeed have a limited refresh rate. You'll have to research that. CRTs are much better for gaming.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I'll have to dig this up, try searching the forums, it's a common problem with winXP, that forces on fps locked at 60.

If the Frame Rates does not pass 60, it may be because you have V-Sync turned ON in your videocard settings! So what that does is that if you have your screen at let say: 1024x768 @ 60hz (refresh rate), then the games will run at a maximum of 60 fps (they won't be faster than the refresh rate).

TO disable V-Sync, check your video card additional properties for DirectX and OpenGL and disable VSync and tell us how it goes.!
    eagle1 signing off.....

I used NVRefresh and also Powerstrip. I also disabled Vsync. I was able to get it to lock at 72 fps playing ghost recon. 72 fps at 72Mhz refresh rate. I dont notice a difference so im thinking i should stick with the 60Mhz refresh rate because thats all that samsung says the monitor should do.

Maybe this is so that I wont damage my monitor. I have my reasons for going LCD instead of CRT.
    Last edited by Lokopinoy; 08-08-2002 at 10:09 AM.

When I play GTA3 with most the settings maxed out it doesnt go above 35 fps. Stop moaning about 60, its more than you need and you probably couldnt se the difference between that and say 80 fps anyway!

fini

He has a point. ^
    MS MCP, MCSE

LOL

you know how those nVidia fanatics are....

FPS
    FPS
    FPS
    FPS

not enough FPS ???

Ohhhhh noooooooo it's the end of the world !!

zzzzzziiiiizzziwb.... power goes off.

So what if I'm a Nvidia Fanatic! I just wanna see how fast this thing can go. It feels like Im driving the speed limit, Lord knows i never do that. Guess I'll have to settle with 60 fps. I wanted to see what 150 fps looked like to see what the fuss is about. Thanks for your help guys. That chameleon kicks ***.

LOL you wont see any difference above 30 FPS, on most games. including racing, space sim, fly sim, etc.

Unless you are in HL, Quake, Tribes 2, C&C RA Renegade, or ......

Movies in the theater shows between 25 FPS to 29 FPS

so anything above 30 FPS, is not human eye possible see-able, unless you have some implanted bionic eyes.

Problem solved. It was a Vsync problem. Disabled it for GL and for DX. I don't notice a difference.

Originally posted by AllGamer
    LOL you wont see any difference above 30 FPS, on most games. including racing, space sim, fly sim, etc.

Unless you are in HL, Quake, Tribes 2, C&C RA Renegade, or ......

Movies in the theater shows between 25 FPS to 29 FPS

so anything above 30 FPS, is not human eye possible see-able, unless you have some implanted bionic eyes.

Wrong, movies have interlacing and motion blur to stop you noticing it, using the fps_max and an alias, you can quicl=kly set up a scroll wheel to increase your FPS by say 10 at a time, I did this and I noticed a difference right up to about 70fps, which was around the monitor's refresh rate anyway.

In FPS it makes more difference, but in any game where you control it you can feel the difference. Watching a demo (like the 3dmark ones) it looks fairly smooth about 35fps, but that (and like movies and TV) is because you are passivly watching, you are not controlling it, if you are controlling it you can feel a difference right up to about 90fps.

True. I remember we're already discussed this "can-I-see-a-difference-above-30-fps" issue, and the answer was "yes".
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

The ceiling for the human-eye is more like 65-70 FPS. But fini, you've got a point. Anything approaching and beyond the 100 mark is only usefull for bragging rights. There are those who swear up-and-down they can see the difference at and above 100 FPS. Most of these people CAN actually tell the difference -- the difference between the numbers on that FPS guage...Without it they CAN'T. But, true that different games reach that "Silk-Smooth" feel at different Frame Rates, but never takes more than 80. Are FPS bad? Absolutely NOT. The more teh better. But I would rather set all options to the max and if the FPS is atleast 45-60, I'm satisfied.